Aura apps

Shopps

Hi,

Sorry, but a basic questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

What apps can I install onto the Aura from the Android app store? I am assuming that not every android app will work on the Aura, but I'm particularly looking at apps like VLC, Plex, Amazon Prime, BT Sport & Sky Go.
Has anyone used or has issues with any of these apps?

Also, Can I ask if there is any customised firmware out there yet for the Aura? I've had my Humax HDR Fox-T2 for many years running a customised firmware but I fear it is on it's last legs so the Aura looks very appealing. From what I have read, that when this box was first released it was a little buggy but these bugs seem to have been addressed or in the process of being addressed. Would any owners agree?

Thanks in advance.

Can I ask if there is any customised firmware out there yet for the Aura?
Don't expect any.

From what I have read, that when this box was first released it was a little buggy but these bugs seem to have been addressed or in the process of being addressed.
There do seem to be regular updates, and these are easier to roll out than when the system relied on a broadcast update channel.

I've had my Humax HDR Fox-T2 for many years running a customised firmware but I fear it is on it's last legs
Is that just a hunch, or is there evidence?

I think that from the very small number of topics and responses in this section of the Humax forums you could infer that not a lot of members have much experience or great interest in the Aura (as yet), so getting authoritative answers around specific app support might be might be more difficult than hoped. Also with that in mind, any customised firmware that might (and I stress might) get developed wouldn't necessarily come via the efforts of people here unless they have a specific interest in doing so. The Aura is a very different animal to the Fox T2 and FoxSat, so a lot of the learning curve that resulted in the custom firmware has to be reset, although it's also possible that people elsewhere might investigate it if they feel inclined.

The bottom line is that if you decide to buy an Aura, only do so on the basis of what it can do 'out of the box' rather than with the expectation that a custom firmware that in any way emulates the functionality of the Fox T2 etc. will ever happen. Personally I suspect it won't.

Also with that in mind, any customised firmware that might (and I stress might) get developed wouldn't necessarily come via the efforts of people here unless they have a specific interest in doing so.
Not to mention the increased security implemented on Humax models since the HD-FOX and HDR-FOX, which has been consigned as "too hard to be worth the bother". However, if somebody spotted an exploitable defect, no doubt a community would arise to develop and participate in it.

IMO, the most likely source of "customisation" will be along the lines of jailbreaking as per Android phones, where existing knowledge and experience might be applicable. Possibly this would apply to AndroidTV devices in general and not be exclusive to Humax Aura.

Hi,

Sorry, but a basic questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

What apps can I install onto the Aura from the Android app store? I am assuming that not every android app will work on the Aura, but I'm particularly looking at apps like VLC, Plex, Amazon Prime, BT Sport & Sky Go.
Has anyone used or has issues with any of these apps?

Also, Can I ask if there is any customised firmware out there yet for the Aura? I've had my Humax HDR Fox-T2 for many years running a customised firmware but I fear it is on it's last legs so the Aura looks very appealing. From what I have read, that when this box was first released it was a little buggy but these bugs seem to have been addressed or in the process of being addressed. Would any owners agree?

Thanks in advance.
The aura already has prime video installed, and the remote control has a dedicated button for it.

VLC, PLEX, and BT Sport are available, but I don't know about Sky Go.

I use VLC to access the recordings on my HDR-Fox T2. Only accessed SD recordings so far as the 3 tuners on the Aura means the Fox is only used occasionally for the less regular channels.

Is that just a hunch, or is there evidence?
Yep, My HDR-Fox-T2 often has the picture freeze but the audio continues as normal, and the remote becomes unresponsive so & power reboot is required. Also, about once or twice a week I start the box and I am prompted to do a first-time setup, e.g. select the language and scan and then select region etc. I think my step to the Aura may be only a matter of time.

My HDR-Fox-T2 often has the picture freeze but the audio continues as normal, and the remote becomes unresponsive so & power reboot is required.
Nothing terribly unusual about that. Try disconnecting the network and see if it improves. If it does, blame your network rather than the HDR-FOX.

Also, about once or twice a week I start the box and I am prompted to do a first-time setup
We call that the startup wizard. Again, you might be able to improve it by running the system flush update file downloadable from the Wiki. It is used like a firmware update, but it doesn't actually update any firmware.

Thanks for the advice Black Hole, I'll give that a try. I am still interested in the Aura though, and I am impressed so far how they seem to addressing bugs and updating the software even though it isn't 1 year old yet.

Back