Aura Remote - technical differences from earlier models?

I've had a few HDR Fox T2 and an FVP5000, all of which had remotes which work with my IR to IP arrangement to control equipment which is installed in a garage. However, the Aura will not work with this in the way I need to use it. I have a programmable remote and I use this for all equipment and it works well with other Humax equipment, a Denon AV amp, Samsung BD player and a Brennan media player. If I programme the remote for the Aura and if I use it in the garage (ie directly pointing to the Aura) then it works okay but if I use it in the main room pointing at the IR to IP adaptor then none of the Aura controls work - all the other Humax's work fine.
Is anybody able to pinpoint something that I'm missing?

The IR to IP adaptors are the Keene modules 1 x transmitter and 1 x receiver - https://www.keene.co.uk/keene-ir-anywhere-ir-over-ip-modules-pair.html

I should have emphasised in my first post that the original Aura remote DOES work over IP but not from the programmable remote (which does work with the equipment if used in the garage). Confusing eh?

Bit of a long shot, but maybe the IR frequency used by the prog device is slightly different from the Aura handset and the IP is not seeing it. (Eg. the Aura itself has a wider acceptance spread than the IP device.)

Maybe the Aura remote works by Bluetooth or other RF? I know some do.
Oh. That's an interesting thought. It looks like it's working over the IP but it's actually bypassing it.
But then surely the prog remote wouldn't work at all.
:confused:

Maybe the Aura remote works by Bluetooth or other RF? I know some do.
The aura remote uses Bluetooth and IR, or just IR, depending on which mode it is set to use.

If you wish to use the built in microphone to use voice search features, it needs to be paired in Bluetooth and IR mode, but if you don't need the microphone, it can be used unpaired in IR mode. The indicator light on the remote control shows Green for Bluetooth, and Red for IR.

I'll investigate this further but I believe I set the Aura up to use IR remote only because I was intending to use it with the programmable remote which is quite old and AFAIK only uses IR. However, on checking the indicator light on the original remote, when pressing the buttons, the indicator shows green. I wasn't aware that this could indicate any other colour. This could mean that I think the original remote is working across IP when it's actually bluetooth directly. I'll post an upfate after more investigations.............

So it does seem that the remote was in BT mode and hiding the fact that the IR to IP adaptor seems to not accept the IR frequencies used by Aura. All other Humax devices that I have work okay so we're back to my original question - how does the Aura remote IR frequencies differ from other Humax equipment? Do I really need to look for a replacement IP solution?

It would be helpful if the manual explained more about things that the user might need to know such as how to re-pair the remote rather than the obvious things about selecting Apps or TV etc. I had to resort to a Google search.

Thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction. More work is obviously needed, I don't like having to fiddle with multiple remotes (or "plonkers" as we call them in our house)..........

More info from some research that I've done. My IR receiver in the lounge which directs the signals to the IR to IP box has a frequency range from 36khz to 40khz which is the norm for modern equipment. A wide band receiver is available which has a range of 20 to 120khz which would be needed for older equipment. So it seems I need to direct my question to Humax themselves as to what IR frequencies they have used in the Aura unless anybody on here knows...............?

So it seems I need to direct my question to Humax themselves as to what IR frequencies they have used in the Aura unless anybody on here knows...............?
You might get lucky, but they're probably closed till next year now ...

You could try a smartphone app like this:
https://www.gasmet.com/products/tools/smartphone-app/
to find what the Aura remote gives out. (This is based on a very quick search, so it might not actually be suitable. Do your own diligence :) )

just for info to all - Bizarely, over the Xmas weekend the system started to respond normally and all is well. After posting my last response, I hadn't checked again until I noticed the other half using the Aura as if it had been in place for years. I can't explain this behaviour apart from the fact that the Aura had probably been rebooted at least once.

watch out for remote control conflict. the Aura and Fox T2's remotes share same IR code!
You can change the ir code of Aura to fix this. However, when doing that you MUST switch off the FoxT2 box otherwise it changes that code too and suddenly you can't control the Fox T2 with the old remote!

watch out for remote control conflict. the Aura and Fox T2's remotes share same IR code!
You can change the ir code of Aura to fix this. However, when doing that you MUST switch off the FoxT2 box otherwise it changes that code too and suddenly you can't control the Fox T2 with the old remote!
You can also change the IR code of the HDR-Fox T2.

I like the remote, but I wish it wasn't one that you hear and feel clicking and was silent like the HDR remote.

Old news, sorry.

it wasn't old news when I had the problem two days ago😃
it seems there are more members of this forum who are now getting an Aura, and this is a problem they will very quickly find.
I'm sorry if my post was too obvious for experts like you😃
Was I wrong to try and help others with the same problem?

it wasn't old news when I had the problem two days ago
Not to you, maybe, but the solution has been on display in your local planning department for 11 Earth Years so there's no point acting all surprised about it.

Reading back, I'm not sure what you were putting up in lights: that the handset can be re-programmed (Humax's fault for not putting it in the product manuals, but that's where we come in), or that when two boxes are responding to the same codes it's necessary to turn one off (or cover it up) before you can re-program just one of them (obvious, isn't it?).

Last edited:
Back