Auto backup of recording schedule

eshjim

I do apologise in advance if this is so basic that it's been covered elsewhere, but I promise I have looked in the forum and Wiki :). I am aware that re-tuning and OTA updates if enabled wipe out the recording schedule and that these can be restored from the custom firmware if a manual backup has been taken, but is there a way to automatically schedule such a backup to another part of the hard disk which would not be wiped by updates, etc.? If this is not possible, could an automatic backup to a USB drive be done? Any advice appreciated.

The Web-If already performs this task, an auto backup is generated every 24 hours, you may be getting confused by references to a manual restore, but the backup is automatic
EDIT
There are details of the Backup and Restore feature on the WiKi HERE

Last edited:
The Web-If already performs this task, an auto backup is generated every 24 hours, you may be getting confused by references to a manual restore, but the backup is automatic
EDIT

Ah!!! Thanks for that Ezra. I did notice the list of backups on the Scheduled Recordings page but I thought these had something to do with the daily OTA communications. It's the old story, sometimes you can think about things so much you end up overlooking the bleeding obvious!!!

EDIT

Is there a way to automatically expire old backups? I've just noticed that I had auto-backups going back to March.

Failing that, it would help if one could manually select a number of backups to delete, instead of one at a time as now.

Is there a way to automatically expire old backups? I've just noticed that I had auto-backups going back to March.
They should expire after 15 days. The process that makes the new backup clears the old ones, so it shouldn't go wrong unless something is messing with the timestamps on the files.
You can get rid of them manually from /mod/var/backup using FTP/Samba/Telnet.
Failing that, it would help if one could manually select a number of backups to delete, instead of one at a time as now.
Yes, it would. I wanted to do this yesterday.

They should expire after 15 days. The process that makes the new backup clears the old ones, so it shouldn't go wrong unless something is messing with the timestamps on the files.

Thanks for this. It's much quicker than doing it through the web interface. Looking at the directory, there was nothing obviously wrong with the file dates, but they went back to March on one of my machines and to June on the other.

Some of the backups I deleted yesterday have mysteriously reappeared. This time, I noticed that the very old backups, dating back to March, were all manual rather than auto backups. Is the expiry routine supposed to deal with these?

Some of the backups I deleted yesterday have mysteriously reappeared. This time, I noticed that the very old backups, dating back to March, were all manual rather than auto backups. Is the expiry routine supposed to deal with these?
I'd say not. I just checked mine and I have daily autos back to Aug 21 2014, and then a block of manual ones going back 18 months.

Some of the backups I deleted yesterday have mysteriously reappeared.
Freaky. Can't explain that at this point.
This time, I noticed that the very old backups, dating back to March, were all manual rather than auto backups. Is the expiry routine supposed to deal with these?
Manually created backups need manually expiring, which doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

Freaky. Can't explain that at this point.

Manually created backups need manually expiring, which doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

Fair enough, though this suffers from what an old professor of mine used to call the COIK Fallacy: Clear Only If Known.

Fair enough, though this suffers from what an old professor of mine used to call the COIK Fallacy: Clear Only If Known.
LOL. I find telnetting very COIK every time I need to use it because it's so rare that I do so I've always forgotten again.

Back