Auto Decrypt destroying files

jacurrie

In the past two days or so I have had several files fail to decrypt and they end up being unplayable. Some had the file size reduced to 0 bytes while others show the screen saying that the channel is scrambled or not available. I have tried a few test recordings and this appears to be happening only on HD channels. The recordings are watchable before the attempt to decrypt.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Don't any clue what is happening, but if you have undelete installed it saves the original file in the [deleted items] folder, so you don't loose it entirely.

Are you using the auto decryption built into the web interface or the old unencrypt package? The web interface version should never do this as one of the things it checks for is that the decrypted file has the same size as the original.

I do have undelete installed but the files there also showed 0 Bytes! Just tried another couple of tests and they worked fine.

I am using the WEBIF version and the file sizes are being maintained in as much as they were both either 0 or an expected size but unplayable. I also noticed that the folder size reported didn't match the file sizes in the folder. All very strange!

And of course since I posted the original message the tests have all worked! Got several timers set for later this evening so time will tell whether it was a one off or not. Fingers crossed!

Just tried a 30 minute (plus padding) HD recording. WEBIF reported that the autodecrypt had failed but when I tried a manual decrypt it worked fine.

This hasn't been answered. We can't help if you don't respond to questions.
OP did say "I am using the WEBIF version". I presume that rules out the old "unencrypt", though having not used it myself, I don't know whether it had a "webif" interface...

There are many ways of decrypting, even within the WebIF. Sorry I misunderstood, but it is best to be clear.

The Humax has now successfully recorded 3 HD programmes tonight. I'll keep a close watch on it and see if it behaves in the coming days. Hopefully it was just a glitch.

Just a quick update - The box has behaved properly since my previous post. There have been several warnings when logging in via Webif that one or more programmes have not decrypted properly however checking the files shows that they have in fact been properly decrypted.

Thanks to all that commented and offered support

There have been several warnings when logging in via Webif that one or more programmes have not decrypted properly however checking the files shows that they have in fact been properly decrypted.
The first pass fails (for whatever reason) and generates the warning. The second pass succeeds, but the previously generated warning is still left in the list.

Could not this 'feature' be overcome, as I often have the same and am spending time unnecessarily checking.

The first pass fails (for whatever reason) and generates the warning. The second pass succeeds, but the previously generated warning is still left in the list.
That makes sense although as Trev says it would be nice if the second pass deleted the warning but for me it's not a big deal.

I am not sure the alert message is really needed since the problem usually resolves itself on retry, it normally only occurs if decryption is tried very shortly after the recording, so perhaps only generated the message for a failure more than 3hrs after recording end

Back