Auto decrypt, NAS backup and Plex

Hi all. I've just got hold of a QNAP TS-253 Pro with a view to backing up my recordings from the HDR Fox-T2 so that I don't run out of space and can view content around the house on other devices. The NAS is relatively powerful, with an Intel x86 processor and up to 8GB of ram, plus there are a number of apps which can run on it, including a Plex server.
The end-goal would be to leave content on the HDR, but also copy unencrypted files to the NAS for use by Plex. I also read that creating a virtual USB(?) drive of the NAS share on the HDR would make it think the files were local, making it easier to play them there from the NAS.

From reading through the forums, there seem to be many ways to skin this cat, so I thought it best to open up the floor to suggestions of how best to achieve a performant process :)

So far, I think I understand that the best way would be to:
  1. auto-unprotect
  2. auto-decrypt folder (My Videos and below)
  3. rsync contents to the NAS
I'm a little unclear as to which decryption package would be best to use (I want this to be a hands-off process once it's set up). For example, is there a way to decrypt and copy to the NAS at the same time, thus removing the need to rsync? If not, how would I ensure that only un-encrypted files are copied?

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy

Use flatten to gather up all recordings (whether singles or series) into My Video, and let them decrypt using Method 2 (WebIF auto-decrypt). Set sweeper to move only decrypted recordings to a special folder (marked not for flattening) as a launch pad for rsync.

The only way you would be able to decrypt on copy to NAS would be to make the NAS the destination for a wget command accessing the DLNA reference for the recording. This is how the on-the-box decryption works anyway, but it would take a revised version to control the destination to other than "in place". Alternatively you could do it from the NAS: scan the DLNA database and grab any new recordings that appear in it. That would make a decrypted copy on the NAS, but the original would remain in place.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.

If I went down the first route you suggest, would that mean that all content would live on the NAS and not the HDR? I'm keen to keep the content on the box locally, but have it accessible elsewhere for other devices. That being said, I suspect that way might require multi-location file deletion, which could be a pain! If I've got the NAS mapped as a local drive on the HDR, presumably that would do away with the problem of duplicated files, but still make them work fine as-if local on the HRD?

let them decrypt using Method 2 (WebIF auto-decrypt)
Does this mean I'll have to manually log on and decrypt every time, or have I misunderstood what you mean by WebIF auto-decrypt?

Alternatively you could do it from the NAS: scan the DLNA database and grab any new recordings that appear in it. That would make a decrypted copy on the NAS, but the original would remain in place.
Do you know anyone who's done this and/or is there a guide anywhere? This might be an easier way to do it depending on the time it takes etc. and whether the NAS can do it.

Does this mean I'll have to manually log on and decrypt every time, or have I misunderstood what you mean by WebIF auto-decrypt?
You need to get up to speed. See Things Every... (click) section 5, and follow the link within for info regarding decryption - in particular Method 2.

Do you know anyone who's done this and/or is there a guide anywhere? This might be an easier way to do it depending on the time it takes etc. and whether the NAS can do it.
No, and no. I was only postulating that it would be possible. Your easiest route is to use the facilities that have already been created for the HDR-FOX custom firmware, which are available for all HDR-FOX users not just those with a particular NAS.

Thanks - I'd read the decrypt article before but missed the click-through as I thought it was a link to installing the customized firmware, which I've been gleefully using for the past few years! I'll digest that all and have a crack at it. Thanks for your thoughts :)

This is something I would be interested in do too. I have a QNAP TS-253 Pro (8GB). I am out of the country at the moment, and will 'play' on my return.

I will follow this thread with interest, and 'chip in' if I have something useful to add.

Andy Herbert You should also be able achieve that using the network-shares-automount package and Sweeper with its copy/copycreate actions. Unless I'm going blind these are not documented on the Wiki page for Sweeper but were mentioned HERE. I've never tried to use the copy/copycreate actions myself but I assume they are still supported by Sweeper...!

Back