Auto HD decryption

The Wiki talks about running it overnight to avoid overloading the CPU, but a lot of people run it almost continuously without side-effects. BH will be along shortly but I think he runs it every 5 minutes whenever the box is on.

The wiki is just reffering to the default cron that is supplied with Unencrypt e.g. 1,31 1-6 * * * /mod/sbin/unencrypt "/mnt/hd2/My Video/archive" > /mod/tmp/unencrypt.log 2>&1 I would suggest that it is being a bit over cautious as the default used to be */10 * * * *

It's not an issue with overheating the CPU, it's an issue with stability. When I was running unencrypt with the original setting, I found that my box wasn't acting quite as it should after a couple of days and that behaviour seemed to clear up when I set it to only run overnight. At the time, I didn't want to risk making boxes unstable, resulting in unnecessary warranty returns of boxes with custom firmware on them - that would probably not do the project any favours in the eyes of Humax.

However, it now sounds like more and more people are running it all the time and are not experiencing problems, so please give it a go and let me know how you get on. The simplest way of making the change is to use the file editor in the diagnostics section of the webif and to edit the file /mod/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root so that the line
Code:
1,31 1-6 * * * /mod/sbin/unencrypt "/mnt/hd2" > /mod/tmp/unencrypt.log 2>&1
becomes
Code:
*/10 * * * * /mod/sbin/unencrypt "/mnt/hd2" > /mod/tmp/unencrypt.log 2>&1

Save the file and power cycle the box and let me know how you get on.

I set 5 min repetition when I needed to clear the initial backlog. Afterwards, I reasoned that I wanted the latest recording unlocked straight after it was complete, and that was the only time the decrypter would run anyway (even if it did check fr a new recording every 5 mins), so under normal service the load would not be very great.

I've just set my HDR to unencrypt as per instructions above.

0 2 * * * /mod/sbin/anacron -s -d
*/10 * * * * /mod/sbin/rs_process >> /mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1
* * * * * /mod/monitor/run

Can someone check the above to confirm (or otherwise) I have done this correctly.

Thanks

L
I've just set my HDR to unencrypt as per instructions above.

0 2 * * * /mod/sbin/anacron -s -d
*/10 * * * * /mod/sbin/rs_process >> /mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1
* * * * * /mod/monitor/run

Can someone check the above to confirm (or otherwise) I have done this correctly.

Thanks
Looks fine to me. The only thing I'd say is that both the Remote Scheduler and the unencrypt programs will run at the same time so the cpu usage may go up a bit higher than normal.

Back