Auto Join ?

exH

I have searched and tried but I can't find a way to Auto-Join a split recording.

I believe movie recordings that are interrupted by.. say the news.. are marked with a linked icon. Is there a way in sweeper to target these files and join them?

I have searched and tried but I can't find a way to Auto-Join a split recording.

I believe movie recordings that are interrupted by.. say the news.. are marked with a linked icon. Is there a way in sweeper to target these files and join them?
Unfortunately not all of the EPG info is saved in the recordings hmt file, the crid and linked indicator are not kept.

I can't think of any obvious way of detecting linked recordings and Join is not an action that can be triggered from Sweeper

The only thing I wondered is whether something could change the schedule (before it is recorded) to join the two parts together into a single recording.

The only thing I wondered is whether something could change the schedule (before it is recorded) to join the two parts together into a single recording.
It has been discussed before https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/split-transmissions-not-correctly-handled-by-humax-scheduler.9620/ but basically you would end up with the equivalent of a manual timed recording which you can set up yourself. You lose any tracking of schedule changes but you also prevent the Humax incorrectly recording repeats of the film

Unfortunately not all of the EPG info is saved in the recordings hmt file, the crid and linked indicator are not kept.

I can't think of any obvious way of detecting linked recordings and Join is not an action that can be triggered from Sweeper
Something like schedchk could keep a table of recent linked programmes so that some other tool could identify and join the parts.

However another key observation from the linked discussion is that the scheduling of the linked programmes and the "intermission(s)" is often haphazard, so that manually recording the whole thing (and snipping out the intermission(s)) is a better bet than trying to join the parts.

OK. thanks for that.

What if I could join any similarly named genre:Movie file

Movie_Name_[date1]_[time1]
Movie_Name_[date2]_[time2]

Where date2_time2 is less than say 5 hours later than date1-time1 or the date times differ

I wouldn't have two similarly named movie files in the base folder for any other reason as I would move non-matching movies to the Films folder

I could nearly do the match in sweeper except the variables reset on each file iteration :(
EDIT: I can move these files to a specific folder Join/%title .. so all I need is sweeper to join

But of course sweeper can't join. But could it?

PS: I'm not snipping anything.. just trust the recording schedule and be damned.

Last edited:
But the schedule modification method (which results in a "joined" recording) leaves the interjecting material in the middle, which is why /df said:
I'm not sure this is the same thing. Forgive me if I'm wrong

Currently I have the Movie recorded as two files. The first stops at the News item and the second starting when the Movie returns.

I'm not bothered about removing scraps of adverts or whatever, I don't remove adverts anyway as it's too much hassle.

So all I need to do is identify the two files (done) and somehow join then (can't do).

I realise the result would be sub optimal. I can live with it.

With nicesplice-magic-folders installed, perhaps sweeper could move your parts into the magic join folders and later retrieve the result from the magic joined folder. Then it can queue that result for ad-detection (set bookmarks only) so that you'll be able to skip ads as you watch the film.

I don't think this would be far from optimal.

I'm not sure this is the same thing
Nobody said it was, but it is another way to skin the cat and has been discussed before.

With nicesplice-magic-folders installed
That's a good idea, I had forgotten NMF offers a join option. It should be possible to automate that through sweeper, if a way can be found to identify the parts which need to be joined.

I find it is usually best to record the whole programme including the 'break'. The broadcasters frequently get the start times wrong which usually results in missing the start of the second part if recorded using AR.

There are many examples on the "Sony Movies" channel. As a test, you can just record the "breaks" and see how many include some of the second part of a film.

There are many examples on the "Sony Movies" channel. As a test, you can just record the "breaks" and see how many include some of the second part of a film.
As it happens, I recorded Sweet Charity recently and did not have that problem.

Here are the approximate timings when recording some instances of the 5 minute breaks (Sony Movie News) from today:
09:55 - All Film​
13:55 - 2 mins Ads, 1 min Movie News, 2 mins Film​
15:45 - 15 secs Film, Ads, Movie News which ends on time​
17:35 - Ads, Movie News, 80 secs Film​
19:20 - 30 secs Movie News, 4 mins 30 secs Film​

Here are the approximate timings when recording some instances of the 5 minute breaks (Sony Movie News) from today:
It's not great. But that's where I am with the EPG - press record and go.

Using sweeper wasn't as straight forward as I thought but I show-horned a solution with sweeper and nicesplice as suggested. It needed sweeper on the source folder AND the /[edit]/[join]/ folders: section2, done and original.

There might be a more elegant set of rules but sweeper is a curious beast. I might put files up on github.

It needed sweeper on the source folder AND the /[edit]/[join]/ folders
Yes. sweeper rules are easiest if made local to one folder. You can define recursive rules, and apply them to the whole My Video tree, but then it's difficult to filter out just the instances you want it to act on (unless you do want it to act on everything). It's only one instance of sweeper that's actually running, it scans the folder tree for rule sets.

I might put files up on github
Why? Only developers look on Github, if you aim to give normal users the benefit of your experience all you need to do is get the text version of your rules (within the sweeper GUI click the "Text Editor" button), and post them on the forum in a code box. Simples.

Back