Auto re-create sidecar files

Trev

The Dumb One
I am running detectads in chaseplay mode and the transport mechanism Skip/skip back etc. (sidecar files?) fails on the cropped recording.
Is there a way of automatically running the sidecar package immediately after decryption and cropping? And would this fix it?
I must try running it manually on a cropped recording to find the answer to the second question myself in a mo.

The answer is yes. But still looking for help on autorunning "sidecar" when the crop has been done please.

Not being the type of person who scatterguns posts, I feel that they're not necessary, and most almost duplicate posts seem to be met with the oft said comment "why have you posted the same thing twice?" or similar.
I suspect that most use the 'new posts' facility so will not miss any posts anyway.
If a mod would like to move this thread to where BH suggests, I would not object one little bit.

It's appropriate to aggregate potential alterations to a specific software module into the master thread for that particular module (and tidier). That way requests can be examined in context, and are more likely to be found when the relevant author gets a round tuit and sifts through the "to-do" list (the list being the relevant thread, rather than lots of different threads which could be hard to sift out after some time has gone by).

There is no harm in having this preliminary discussion separately, because it was not necessarily obvious that your need would be an addition to detectads, but now that appears to be the solution there's a benefit to re-posting the conclusion in the detectads thread. All that is needed is to quote one or a few relevant posts into it from here.

The only other solution I can think of is the oft-requested addition to sweeper to have a rule action to launch any arbitrary script, but even then I'm not sure what criteria could be used to trigger such a rule in your example. As the feature is already pending for sweeper, there is no need to repeat it in that thread.

Re sweeper. That's the package I envisaged as being capable of doing it, but, as you say, I could not find a suitable trigger which is why I asked in this area as it's deffo CF will be involved.

I don't use the on box cropper, but sometimes edit files off-box, which results in the same problem - .nts file (and thumbnail) out of sync with the edited .ts file. I don't use/know much about sweeper, but I couldn't find a way to make it deal with this (and I got bored with the webif UI that runs sidecar synchronously).

In my case I just modded the thread that processes requests to create thumbnails to do this i.e. to execute sidecar -nh if the .nts file doesn't exist or is older than the .ts file. To queue an extra thumbnail request I modded the thumbnail package file catchup to check if a new .nts (or thumbnail) file is needed. This catchup is by default run daily; it can be run explicitly using the diagnostic genthumbs.

As I'm sure you know, sidecar takes quite a while to generate an .nts file; so the new file wouldn't be available till sometime after the cropping finished however you run sidecar.

In my case I just modded the thread that processes requests to create thumbnails to do this i.e. to execute sidecar -nh if the .nts file doesn't exist or is older than the .ts file. To queue an extra thumbnail request I modded the thumbnail package file catchup to check if a new .nts (or thumbnail) file is needed. This catchup is by default run daily; it can be run explicitly using the diagnostic genthumbs.
@andyk The ability to recreate thumbs and sidecar files is something I have been looking for also. Would you be willing to make your mods available and explain how you run the process daily (nightly!)? Or point me in the right direction if I've overlooked something already in the CF documentation. Thanks!

@jfshw No problem. I've attached a zip of three patch files.

The patches are to \mod\webif\lib\ts.class, \mod\webif\plugin\thumbnails\queue.hook & \mod\webif\plugin\thumbnails\catchup. Note these patches don't really fit in with webif architecture - that would mean enhancing the sidecar package to provide hooks, rather than piggy-backing on the current thumbnail implementation. They of course would need re-applying if the webif package is updated.

By default, the catchup script is run daily by anacron, which itself is run at two in the morning by cron. You can run it explicitly by running the diagnostic 'genthumbs' which is what I usually do.

Attachments

• HumaxSourcePatches.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 4
Back