[auto-schedule-restore] Auto-restore schedule after retune

I have amended the title of this thread to include the package name [auto-schedule-restore].

This private schedule only seems to get backed up at reboot, so presumably if you modify the schedule between reboot and retune then it will restore an out of date one. Is there any reason /mod/sbin/autoschedule shouldn't be added as a cron job, to run say every 10 minutes?
A 10 minute window is much smaller than an all-day window. I leave my box on permanently, so the window can be several days.

I've removed disable-dso in the interests of seeing what happens in due course.

Is there any reason /mod/sbin/autoschedule shouldn't be added as a cron job, to run say every 10 minutes?
Only that the backup is stored in flash (with a view to eliminating the extra reboot in a future update) so writing to flash that often may not be a great idea. The backup file could be moved to disk though.

10 days? do you mean 10th December?
Ooops, Yes 10th December for BBC-B Mux i.e. BBC Three HD, CBBC HD etc, although I still have my doubts about the new ARQ-C Mux starting on the same day, so you may have to wait a little longer for Cbeebies HD, BBD Four HD, BBC News HD, Aljazera HD, Channel 4+1 HD and 4seven HD, Crystal Palace Transmitter possibly

Only that the backup is stored in flash (with a view to eliminating the extra reboot in a future update) so writing to flash that often may not be a great idea. The backup file could be moved to disk though.
OK, how about only rewriting it in flash if it's changed? The extra reboot doesn't really bother me though...

Will this play nicely with the channel Renumber package?
Last retune I had problems that I think were due to renumber and channeldel clashing, so I dread to think what might happen if this gets in on the act. (The Marx bros come to mind for some reason :) )

Version 1.2 fixes a problem where an intentionally empty schedule could cause the box to constantly say that a restart is required.

With 1.3 installed, did a retune on box 2 yesterday and ended up with just the Timer off event and nothing else, not even the matching Timer on, in the schedule.
Had to restore from the daily auto-backup, but it wasn't up to date as changes had been made during the day.
Don't have time to do a proper test now for a while...

Had to restore from the daily auto-backup, but it wasn't up to date as changes had been made during the day
I'm surprised a mind of your calibre being caught out by that. (No, I'm not being sarcastic or anything else.)
I always do a manual backup before a retune for exactly that reason, even if I don't think it will have changed. I treat any automatic backup (anywhere, not just on the HDR) purely as a backstop for the unexpected, like the box doing a self-reset.

decided to test this clever new add on, very impressive too, interesting that it picked up the lack of data within a few seconds of boot up and restored my details

however, due to my well documented situation of being in the centre of two transmitters it replace a lot of channels with the ones on the 800 series, channel 5 for instance, great reception on 5, not so good on the one it selected for me

is there a work around here, do i remember seeing something that deletes all the channels picked up in the 800s?? or even better, is there a way of making it remember my chosen muxes at all, as i get this irritating problem every time i retune? ok its not a big problem, but was just hoping there was a way to avoid it in future

thanks again for all the brilliant work you lot do to make this machine a cracker!!

See channel-del. I don't think it does exactly what you want though - I can't think of a way to control the Humax auto-search process, it's best done manually if you are in a multiple transmitter area.

In my area, (Hastings) all the FV channels are in the low end of the band (at the moment), so once my TVs have scanned up to and including CH30, I disconnect the aerial. This prevents the long delays when it finds the Heathfield transmitter, not to mention duplicate channels.

I'm surprised a mind of your calibre being caught out by that. (No, I'm not being sarcastic or anything else.)
Yes, I know. Lack of time, early morning flight the next day, shortcuts taken and curses uttered. All the things you shouldn't do, I did.
I always do a manual backup before a retune for exactly that reason, even if I don't think it will have changed. I treat any automatic backup (anywhere, not just on the HDR) purely as a backstop for the unexpected, like the box doing a self-reset.
You are of course absolutely correct. I should know better and have learnt the lesson the hard way. Familiarity breeds contempt as well. Fatal.

Having missed recording something on BBC4 HD because it moved mux (for the Olypmics) while I was at work, I've now uninstalled disable-dso and installed auto-schedule-restore. Hopefully that should prevent a recurrence.

You still need a reboot somehow after the auto-tune and before your next recording.
I've been speculating how an auto-tune might be detected. Of course the opportunities for testing are rather limited...

You still need a reboot somehow after the auto-tune and before your next recording.
I've been speculating how an auto-tune might be detected. Of course the opportunities for testing are rather limited...

I thought auto-schedule-restore immediately rebooted the box if it detected an empty schedule on boot and thus restored it? I can't see any harm in it doing that, the box has just booted after all.

My aunt and myself switch our boxes off regularly, certainly every night. And our boxes have daily timers set to pick up epg changes and allow RS to get a look in on my box, so that should give auto-schedule-restore a chance to do it's thing.

Ah I see what you mean. Box boots, does dso retune, schedule is lost. But auto-restore-schedule won't fix it until the next reboot. That's easily solvable, I'll just have a pair of power cycles next to each other in the schedule instead of just the one I have at 16:20 (my window for RS to pick something up before the evening).

Back