[auto-schedule-restore] Auto-restore schedule after retune

Which mux is best for a daily reboot to tune to for spotting a DSO? Currently it tunes to BBC ONE HD, I'm thinking the SD channel might be a better bet. Or are all muxes equal for DSO, or do we not know?

Also, how long does a box have to be on to get the DSO event over the air and then do the retune? I've given it 15 minutes at 16:00 to 16:15 on a timed wake event (can it do DSO on those?) and then a reminder at 16:30 to 16:40 to give auto-restore-schedule chance to do it's stuff (though it probably doesn't need 10 minutes).

It's a pain this stuff appears in the EPG, I'd like it to be invisible for my aunt or it will confuse her (and hers will occur early in the morning using the disable-ota reminder to actually do the retune then a later for the schedule restore).

A retune event is scheduled in the reservations several days ahead of time, but it's hidden from the SUI and only visible in the WebIF schedule browser. That's all it is - a schedule entry automatically created by a network flag. When the schedule time comes around (or the next time you turn on), a message pops up "shall I retune now or later", and if you ignore it the retune happens anyway.

That's easily solvable, I'll just have a pair of power cycles next to each other in the schedule instead of just the one I have at 16:20
Are power cycles in a different schedule to the recordings? (I hope so, but I'd not take it on blind faith :rolleyes: )

Is the auto-schedule-restore package known to still work? Anyone using it? I ask because I just retuned to get Classic FM in stereo on it's moved mux, and my schedule was not restored. When is it supposed to say something on the front panel? All I saw was START SYSTEM and the usual message for CFW 3.10. Nothing about restoring an empty schedule. How does it cope with disable-ota always trying to add something to the schedule?

I may have discovered the problem. I use a wake/sleep timer in Settings for my box's daily wakeup to talk to RS in the afternoon. I do it that way because it doesn't appear as a pointless entry in the EPG schedule. But the sleep event is not associated with any channel or mux, so after a full retune I think the sleep event is still present. So the schedule is not empty, and auto-schedule-restore won't do anyting. I guess I need to change this to a reminder in the EPG to sort this out.

I'd still like feedback from anyone actually using this package. There has been very little discussion on this thread recently.

With 1.3 installed, did a retune on box 2 yesterday and ended up with just the Timer off event and nothing else, not even the matching Timer on, in the schedule.
Had to restore from the daily auto-backup, but it wasn't up to date as changes had been made during the day.
Don't have time to do a proper test now for a while...

I think that's the problem I just found, the Timer off event doesn't get deleted by Humax software on retune because it has no channel or mux associated with it. Which means the schedule is not empty so is not restored.

Yes I know the original posting is almost 2 years old, but there was no reply or further investigation reported.

Following the recent channel changes for the Olympics, the package successfully restored my schedule. On- off events left in the schedule probably would prevent a retune; I doubt that anyone else will confirm that as they are deprecated (by those on the forum who know about their effect on th CF).

Following the recent channel changes for the Olympics, the package successfully restored my schedule. On- off events left in the schedule probably would prevent a retune; I doubt that anyone else will confirm that as they are deprecated (by those on the forum who know about their effect on th CF).

What bad effect do on-off events have? I've been using them daily for the last few years with no apparent ill effects (apart from this new auto-schedule-restore issue).

The Humax firmware is designed around the expectation that there will only be one on and/or one off event per day, as configured via the SUI menus. The RS/CF is capable of setting multiple timer on/off events, because there is nothing in the data format that prevents it, but there is no guarantee that they will be interpreted correctly at all times. Mis-operation has been reported, and it is thought best to use reminder schedules for timed wake-ups instead because the Humax firmware is designed to handle multiple such events as a normal situation.

Mis-matched timer events are known to cause the delinquent half-awake state, see Things Every... (click) section 18.

I've only ever had one timer wakeup and sleep event, and they've always been set using the Timer menu in the Humax UI. Up until now this has caused no problems. It's only because the Sleep event does not get deleted on a retune (because it has no channel/mux association) that auto-schedule-restore doesn't work.

The problem with this is to get the retune after a DSO automatic for my elderly aunt, I need two visible events in the EPG. One to spot the DSO (the Disable OTA event will do this), and a second to notice the schedule is empty and do a retune. Both of these will be visible in the EPG, and she might delete them by accident (she admits she does daft things at times if she gets confused). The Disable OTA one will recreate itself, but the second one to do the retune won't. I was hoping to hide that second one as a timer, but now I can't.

To be accurate, they won't be visible in the EPG - they're visible in the schedule. I'm surprised your elderly aunt delves as far as the schedule listing.

To be accurate, they won't be visible in the EPG - they're visible in the schedule. I'm surprised your elderly aunt delves as far as the schedule listing.

My aunt goes into the Humax UI schedule listing to check that she's got the things set to record that she wants.

She had a Pace Twin for many years and gradually learned how to drive all of it. It was a real wrench for her when DSO meant it no longer worked, but the HDR Fox T2 was close enough in UI design it was "only" difficult for her to change. She learned what was the same as the Twin, she had a bit of paper with things written down like "For Library press Media". After a couple of years she no longer needed the bit of paper. She was very cross that "they" had broken her Pace Twin.

Mine writes things down on bits of paper too - and then asks me again. She can't get her head around the idea that if you keep going right in the EPG you get to the next day's programmes (or remember that the skip buttons shift you 24 hours).

Well that was a waste of time. Today's post olympics channel shuffle has no DSO event associated with it, or at least not one that my box has seen. Currently I'm doing an auto retune myself, I'll see if the schedule restore works automatically. I'm on Sandy Heath if that matters.

The auto schedule restore worked fine. Announced it's presence on the front panel, rebooted the box, all fine aftewards.

Such a shame this is undone by the lack of a DSO event for such a major channel shuffle. I have a recording set for BBC4 HD tonight, it would have failed unless I'd done the retune myself (I have SD recordings set as backup on my other HDR Fox T2 so I would still have got something).

I have a recording set for BBC4 HD tonight, it would have failed unless I'd done the retune myself
If you'd installed auto-update and tunefix-update yesterday, you could have had your box updated automatically overnight and not had to do a retune. All you'd have needed was to make sure the box restarted at some point afterwards.
I'm just sayin (no g)...

If you'd installed auto-update and tunefix-update yesterday, you could have had your box updated automatically overnight and not had to do a retune. All you'd have needed was to make sure the box restarted at some point afterwards.
I'm just sayin (no g)...

I'm currently trialling a configuration I plan to use for my elderly aunt. She has no internet and nor is she ever likely to, so your suggestion while valid for most people is no good for her.

What's auto-update? I thought it was tunefix and tunefix-update which I'd need? I have plans to use this combination myself once I've concluded the trials for my aunt.

What's auto-update?
Code:
humax ~ # opkg list auto-update
auto-update - 2.0.2-1 - Automatically keep packages up-to-date.
I thought it was tunefix and tunefix-update which I'd need?
You do. The latter has a dependency on the former, so you only need to install the latter yourself.
Without auto-update you need to check for updates yourself. With it, you don't. There are pros and cons to both ways, as you might guess.

Code:
humax ~ # opkg list auto-update
auto-update - 2.0.2-1 - Automatically keep packages up-to-date.

You do. The latter has a dependency on the former, so you only need to install the latter yourself.
Without auto-update you need to check for updates yourself. With it, you don't. There are pros and cons to both ways, as you might guess.

Oh right, it's the thing that automatically updates all packages. Hmm, personally I'm rather nervous about that sort of thing, I could come home after a two week holiday and find everything broke on day 3. Why does tunefix-update need that? I had assumed it connected to some sort of data feed a bit like the remote schedule server.

Also I manage my parents' box. They have internet, but there's no way I want it auto updating packages when it could be 4 months before I visit them. If tunefix-update requires auto-update then it's a non starter on my parents' box.

Back