Auto Schedule Restore Problem

ukayjohn

Every day when I power on Hummy at the mains, ASR restores schedule and reboots the box, helpful if I had A: done a retune or B: set up any recording schedule to be restored in the first place!. What it seems to be doing is scheduling repeated broadcasts of programs previously recorded and deleted. The notification on Webif says only that the schedule has been restored, not that the box has crashed. I await your collective wisdom...

If your recording schedule is empty, the WebIF takes this as a sign that a retune has taken place and restores the schedule it thought it should have (ie the last backed up one).

The real mystery is why you have it powered off at the mains??

Never recording overnight. Think of the 50p a year I'm saving on the leccy bill... So unless I put SOMETHING in the schedule, this will keep happening??. Better to uninstall the bugger...

Simply include a dummy schedule item - the OTA defeat reminder schedule (automatically added by the disable-ota package) will do (and is necessary in case your 'Fox happens to be on anyway). If your 'Fox is off at the time, it won't happen.

Installed package yesterday, disable OTA was visible in schedule, BLUE clock icon BLUE box with the number 7 in it. Switched Box back on this morning, STILL did auto schedule restore...

Yes, I know that, but it doesn't stop it being a T2 does it? And posting in the nearly right thread is a simple mistake to make and could happen to anyone and doesn't really merit a comment I wouldn't have thought.
But Hey Ho. I suspect that the OP will now feel suitably chastised for his heinous crime. ;=)

So unless I put SOMETHING in the schedule, this will keep happening??.
For your usage the simplest fix is to remove the auto-schedule-restore and manually reinstate the schedule (which will still be backed up) if necessary after a retune or reset to defaults. Our schedule is never empty and I suspect your minimalist schedule is unusual.

The mods did what I expected, possibly alerted by my comment. What do you do? Say nothing, and risk the topic remaining filed in the wrong place; mention it to the mods privately, in which case the OP may never learn from it; or put it in public view so that people get the hang of raising a query in the appropriate section of the forum?

This is clearly a CF issue, even as stated in the OP, so it goes in the CF section of the forum.

Getting back to the subject, if there are situations which result in auto-restore causing a problem, we need to look at the algorithm again to see if they can be avoided. In this case, the presence of the OTA defeat schedule should prevent this happening, so there seems to be a problem.

Given that the OP does not seem to have a lot scheduled, why not turn auto restore off.
As he is now using disable_dso there is not a great likelihood that he will loose his schedule. He can always manually restore if he ever does a manual retune.

Obviously, any bug still needs fixing.

Every day when I power on Hummy at the mains, ASR restores schedule and reboots the box, helpful if I had A: done a retune or B: set up any recording schedule to be restored in the first place!.
I don't understand why you want to auto-restore a schedule which obviously has nothing in it. Either set a dummy recording waaaay into the future or turn off the auto-restore.

I don't. I only installed the package to save having to manually restore any schedule after retune/box crash. The disable ota option doesn't work, so I still get the following sequence ocurring, Start System, CF message, Schedule Restored, Rebooting. I will uninstall for now, and look forward to the results of any bug fixing. Thanks for the input.

Are you sure you don't mean disable_dso, this is the one that prevents retuning and hence wiping of the schedule.
Disable_ota prevents automatic firmware update. This effectively ends up removing custom firmware, but does NOT wipe your schedule.

Both are recommended.

No, what he said was right. The disable-ota package adds an item to the schedule which should stop the auto schedule restore thinking the schedule is empty. The trouble is that because disable-ota adds the schedule item every boot (if not found in the list), auto schedule restore has been modified to ignore that entry. It's a Catch 22, and we need to think of another way to detect (at boot time) that the schedule has been emptied by a retune rather than as a deliberate action by the user.

Perhaps there is a way for auto-restore to add a dummy entry, which if not detected triggered a restore?

Back