Auto Shrink - a minor issue

I don't know if anyone else has ever found this - and apologies if it is already well known.

I found recently a single folder that refused to accept the auto-shrink option (no error generated, just nothing happened). All the recordings looked fine and the only unusual thing was that the folder title contained an accented character: "John le Carré - A Delicate Truth".

Being radio recordings I was really anxious to loose the 80% or so redundant data so I followed a hunch and renamed the folder changing "é" to "e". The Auto-shrink option was accepted immediately.

Hardly a big deal but I wonder if any other folder options might also be affected in the same way?

Keep up the good work guys, this is a brilliant forum.

This kind of thing turns up from time to time, due to errors in string handling in the code. They get corrected when found, and you've found another one.

I am a little perplexed though: I also recorded that, but my folder was called A Book At Bedtime (or something like) - I assume you chose to rename the folder to include the accent?

I do the full MP3 conversion on radio recordings, so that I can play them in the car (some players won't accept the pseudo-MP3 created by the normal extract audio option, it is necessary to turn on full extraction in the WebIF settings). This results in The Book At Bedtime occupying 13.7MB per recording.

I am a little perplexed though: I also recorded that, but my folder was called A Book At Bedtime (or something like) - I assume you chose to rename the folder to include the accent?

The last recording was on 8th April from Radio 4 Extra so I can't check the EPG but I'm fairly sure that the accent was not added by me (all of the individual programs contain it).

I've just checked one of the programmes and I notice also that the accent in the title blocks the WebIf from displaying the full media details.

Ah - my recordings were when it was originally transmitted in the Book at Bedtime slot on Radio 4. That explains the difference.

(By the way: as an experiment I ran shrink on the original TS which took it from about 93MB to 26.5MB. Fast audio conversion - MP2 masquerading as MP3 - gets that down to 20.5MB, while the proper MP3 gets you 13.5MB and full compatibility with MP3 players.)

Last edited:
Back