Auto-unprotect problem?

ChrisDaniels

My Auto-unprotect script seems to have stopped working.

I noticed the last recorded episode of Top Gear from BBC HD was still flagged as encrypted a few days ago but didnt think too much of it as I know the script checks periodically.

I checked it again last night and it was still flagged as encrypted.
By coincidence the box then crashed while I was checking this at dead on 8PM.

So, I have three questions:
What stopped the auto-unprotect working?
Was the crash related because the script was maybe triggered at 8pm, failed and crashed my box?
What is the checking fequency?

I have now uninstalled the auto-unprotect script to see if this was the culprit for my other random reboots, although the script has been unprotecting content for a month or so now without any hint of issues (apart from the random crashes of course, but i cannot be certain this is from the script).

I once found one programme which had "resisted" the auto-unprotect script. No other problems, though.
Given the ease with which the enc flag for individual programmes can be cleared using webif, it's a little hard to see a good reason to run this script.

It checks every 10 minutes while the box is turned on, on the hour and every ten minutes thereafter. It processes any recordings which are newer than the file /mod/.unprotect.last which it uses to track when it was last run. It only modifies recordings which are high def. and have the encrypted flag set.

You can force it to check every recording again simply by removing that state file.

I still run it because I no longer have to think about HD encryption. Once the package also removes the DTCP protection on HD streams (thanks to ratx having worked out how to do that) then it will be even more useful.

Neither did I !

Thanks again for a good tip. There seems to be more than one way to do the same thing on the Hummy. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. (Old ones are the best).

The OPT+ does not work for me, it removes the ENC on the Hummy but I cannot play with VLC. If I use auto-unprotect VLC works fine.

If I use OPT+ I cannot play the file with VLC
If I use Auto-unprotect I can play the file with VLC
Shouldn't the two actions result in the same result, or am I missing something.

Which OPT+ option are you using? Remove / Toggle ENC will only do what it says, However if you then use OPT+ decrypt it will do a one off decryption

Edit :- If you double click on the file name and look at 'Flags' it will tell you if it is decypted and the green DEC icon will indicate it has been decypted. After you use Auto-unprotect you must be doing something else to carry out the decryption e.g. copy to an external HDD / Virtual drive or streaming the file, Any of these will carry out the decryption

If I use webif to remove the ENC flag and follow with a decrypt, which takes forever, I cannot play the resulting file (with a green DEC flag) with VLC Player

If I use auto-unprotect, the action takes seconds, removes the brown ENC flag without replacing it with a green DEC and I can play it with VLC Player

The difference between a OPT+ remove ENC followed by a OPT+ decrypt is "New Encrypted" as a flag in the file info verses a flag of "New ODEncrypted" if auto-unprotect is used.

Getting too deep, I guess I just stick to auto-unprotect.

O.K. If you use auto-unprotect (Which removes the brown ENC flag) how do you get the file off the Humax so you can play it on your P.C.?

I click on the file in webif, copy the DLNA URL
Open VLC; Media; Advanced Open File; Network - paste the URL then press play

I don't think the DLNA database is updated when the webif method of clearing the enc flag is used.

The difference between a OPT+ remove ENC followed by a OPT+ decrypt is "New Encrypted" as a flag in the file info verses a flag of "New ODEncrypted" if auto-unprotect is used.

Getting too deep, I guess I just stick to auto-unprotect.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding. Removing the Enc flag allows a HiDef recording to be decrypted when copied to USB. It does not however enable the HiDef recording to be streamed except to a compliant client (eg another Humax), nor be decrypted using auto-decrypt or the decrypt button (which both use streaming as the means to decrypt).

auto-unprotect clears Enc and the flags which protect streaming.

It's probably time this area was tidied up - clearing Enc in the WebIF OPT+ options ought to do it all.

By the way, VLC on a PC doesn't cope with HiDef very well (I hear it's OK on Linux).

Now we are getting somewhere, After you run auto-unprotect to remove the ENC flag the file is still encrypted, However the file is decrypted during the streaming process to VLC, If you FTPed the same file it wouldn't be decrypted.

I don't think the DLNA database is updated when the webif method of clearing the enc flag is used.
Correct, the webif removes the 'keep encrypted' flag so that a subsequent copy to USB results in decryption but currently only auto-unprotect does the required update to the DLNA index so that the file can be streamed without DTCP. I suppose webif should do both too...

Back