Auto-Unprotect produces 2 of each recording

NealRogersUK

After auto-decryption I always have two entries for every HD recording - [Programme Name] and [Programme Name] -Decrypt

Neither of these has the Enc flag showing (although [Programme Name] did before auto-unprotect did its work).

There are two of each of the files .ts, .thm, .nts and .hmt; the .ts files are identical.

Is this normal? Seems a bit odd to me. I would have thought that the logic of the decrypt pipeline would say something like

decrypt [Programme Name] to [Programme Name] -Decrypt
if it worked
delete [Programme Name]
rename [Programme Name] -Decrypt to [Programme Name]
else
tidy up to try again
endif

It should clean up, and if it hasn't that probably means something else is using the file at the time. It might also be that the clean up expects undelete to be installed, as a safety net, and if there is no recycle bin it just leaves the original files where they are for deletion manually.

Under 'Auto-Processing settings' on the Setting page is the option Create backup files in dustbin for decrypt and shrink?
Try (re-)installing the Undelete package
Does setting that to No remove the files on new recordings?
Otherwise set Auto-processing log level to debugging info and post the contents of auto.log following a recording.

Note deleting recordings can cause interference to recordings so I recommend the use of Undelete to defer deletions to a quiet time

I installed the undelete package (it wasn't installed before) and now auto-decryption works as expected. Great tech support as always :) Cheers.

Ah no, I jumped the gun... it worked once but now all my HD recordings create three of each file - 'programme', 'programme - decrypt' and 'programme' in the [deleted items]/webif_autodecrypt folder, so in fact it's worse than it was before. Obviously this isn't how it's meant to be so something is going wrong. I'll try what MymsMan suggested in #3.

Ah no, I jumped the gun... it worked once but now all my HD recordings create three of each file - 'programme', 'programme - decrypt' and 'programme' in the [deleted items]/webif_autodecrypt folder, so in fact it's worse than it was before. Obviously this isn't how it's meant to be so something is going wrong. I'll try what MymsMan suggested in #3.
I cant see how three copies is possible - Decryption produce the second copy but then it is renaming and moving the original to Dustbin (or deleting it) there is no copying involved.

Do you have another disk mounted? Moving to Dustbin might become a copy if it appears to be on another drive (but should still clean up afterwards)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately... no other disks are mounted. I tried your first suggestion - setting Settings/Auto-Processing Settings/Create backup files in dustbin etc to 'No' and that results in just(!) two copies of each recording. Putting that back to 'Yes' results in 3 copies. But not always - sometimes it works as it should. I have determined it has nothing to do with whether the recording is HD or not. I'll set the log level to debugging as suggested and report back once I've managed to recreate the problem.

hummy.jpghummy_deleted.jpg

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Oh dear, You haven't been telling us the whole truth !

You told us the file name suffix was -Decrypt not -dec
and you never mentioned you were running DetectAds so we have been going down a blind alley

The -dec files are produced by DetectAds and not autodecrypt , they should normally be deleted at end of processing but detectads is cautious and doesn't delete/rename files that are shown as in-use.

Can you post your DetectAds settings.

Ahhh well that might explain things. Except I wasn't not telling the truth, honest, just a bit of confusion re file-name and programme-name. The programme name suffix on the TV is '-Decrypt'.

IMG_20190825_144542.jpgIMG_20190825_144507.jpg

Last edited:
And here are my detectads settings. I assumed the 'Delete (move to bin) original recording after processing?' setting only applied after a crop operation.... but maybe that's not the case. I'll give that a go.

detectads.jpg

OK well I'm still a bit confused about what was happening before (the file name of the 'New Tricks - Decrypt' programme is definitely 'New Tricks_dateandtime-dec.ts) but now that I've set the 'Delete (move to bin) original recording after processing?' setting to Yes I'm left with one copy in the main folder. and one copy in the [Deleted Items]/detectads folder. The detectads folder wasn't being created previously, so I suspect there is some sort of filename/foldername clash with my previous settings.

Anyway, it seems to be working as intended now so thanks very much for the help.

Back