auto-update request

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
Would it be possible to either create a log detailing what packages were updated and when or, possibly, incorporate the info into the activity log ? This would then give a sort of audit trail which could be useful if having to problem solve.
Thanks

Thanks af123 - the automatic update of the tunefix package created 'notify.log' (I have identified the log name in case any future 'customers' do a search)

Here's the funny thing...
It was listed on the diagnostics page and I was able to open it. Going back to the diagnostics page it had disappeared. I didn't check the first time but there is an entry in the activity log showing the exact same info...

Looking in my /mod/tmp, there are a number of .log files - but not as many as listed on the diagnostics page.

What's happening here? I had assumed the diagnostics page list was created dynamically from the actual log files that exist. If it is, then there must be other places logs are stored other than /mod/tmp. If so, why are logs not all stored in the same place (too sensible?)? If not, then the static list needs updating.

Yes, I have the same line in activity.log.

Before AF123 and others raise their eyebrows in despair...
I had not acknowledged the notification screen informing me of the update. I assume the text of this is stored in the notify log and the log is deleted when the acknowledge button is pressed.
So the update info is only written to the activity log.

Okay, but that does not explain why only one of my HDRs is showing package updates in the activity log - except that the one that does is the only one with tunefix installed. It could be that there were no other updates since the addition of update tracking, and the updates I acknowledged this morning were all from previous events.

In no particular order!

auto-update has always created notify.log. That's what is shown at the top of the web interface and is cleared when you acknowledge it.
The update a couple of days ago also writes information about updates to the activity.log.

The diagnostics page builds the list of logs dynamically from three locations
  • /tmp - for logs that don't persist over a reboot;
  • /mod/tmp - for persistent logs;
  • /mnt/hd3 - for logs from fix-disk runs.

Back