Automatic Power Down - adjustable via remote SSH

G4DDS

Did a factory reset last week - thought I had tweaked everything but turns out I have left the Automatic Standby Option on.

Currently on holiday when I discovered this as the box is not on mid afternoon when it should be; its coming on at 10 AM and going off at 1PM (according to CPU usage stats on the sys mon pages).

I have SSH access, I assume the setting is AUTOMATIC_POWER_DOWN which needs changing in database /var/lib/humaxtv/setup.db (TBL_MENUCONFIG)? I also assume it should be changed to 0 (as it is currently 1)?

Can this safely be done via SSH and if so how?

No idea whether that's the correct setting or whatever, but you can (attempt to) change it like this:
Code:
humax# sqlite3 /var/lib/humaxtv/setup.db "update tbl_menuconfig set itemvalue=0 where itemname=\"AUTOMATIC_POWER_DOWN\""

Cheers prpr

I ma having second thoughts as there is also a setting AUTO_POWER_OFF_CRTL and a database tempsetup.db which seems to be a copy of setup.db?

I don't want to jump in feet first in case I mess it up. If anyone does know which setting and which database it would be appreciated.

Don't take my word for it, but I think you will have to stop the humaxtv process before you can make anything stick in the database files, and then reboot once you've changed it.

I was going to suggest using the IR pkg to perform the required remote control steps to disable the setting.

But I now see that the Menu button always returns to the last selected menu item, which isn't helpful. Perhaps after a reboot it would be reliable?

The safest way to do this is to use the poweron-channel package extra options file.

Once this package is installed, putting this into a file called /mod/boot/pox and waiting for the next reboot should do it.

Code:
TBL_MENUCONFIG:AUTOMATIC_POWER_DOWN:0

This only works if the package is also doing something else at boot time so set a poweron volume too..
From the command line this is just:

Code:
humax# opkg install poweron-channel
humax# echo 'TBL_MENUCONFIG:AUTOMATIC_POWER_DOWN:0' >> /mod/boot/pox
humax# echo 20 > /mod/boot/pov

See http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Poweron-Channel for more details.

Last edited:
Cheers guys for all the replies. I'll have to wait until the box is active for a recording so I can switch it on using the web remote to keep it up whilst I have a play.

Just one thing, I am tweaking the correct setting aren't I i.e. AUTOMATIC_POWER_DOWN?

I managed to catch it in a state early evening (yesterday) where a recording was happening so I did the above (installed power-on-channel and configured the extra files). Returning late last night I remembered a recording was happening so I checked the database (using the diagnostics database browser) and the setting had changed.

Success or so I thought. Just checked a few minutes ago and the box should be reachable but is not. Going out shortly but I will try to catch it when it is recording tonight and have another look at the database and check (via sys mon) what times the box has been up today.

If anyone has any thoughts in the meantime they would be appreciated.

The automatic power down setting will only stop it turning off after 3 hours of "inactivity" from having been turned on. At the moment the box is waking up to make a recording and then going back to sleep again - you still need to turn it on.

Leaving it on doesn't help either - you need restarts to make anything you do from RS or WebIF get actioned.

No access at all at the moment!

Scheduled recordings did not appear to be happening (at least I could not login when they should be) so I tried to access the box shortly after 10 AM this morning when its power on timer should have switched it on but that was also a no go.

I have a FOXSAT-HDR on the same 4 way socket extension and connected to the same network switch and that it is up and I can access that so I am fairly happy the home network is up and everything is still powered so it can only be the box that has thrown a wobbler.

So, I guess it's either stuck in standby or some strange half state that it can't recover from or there has been some sort of hardware failure! I guess there is nothing that can be done until I return unless by chance we have a power cut and the power cycle sorts it out. Still at least the old trusty FOXSAT-HDR which is mirroring the recording schedule is still doing its job.

So, I guess it's either stuck in standby or some strange half state that it can't recover from or there has been some sort of hardware failure! I guess there is nothing that can be done until I return unless by chance we have a power cut and the power cycle sorts it out. Still at least the old trusty FOXSAT-HDR which is mirroring the recording schedule is still doing its job.

Mine gets hung up in a strange state at times, I normally have it playing the radio but the Linux portion hangs up and the screen saver stops updating. This locks up the box from doing anything except playing the channel that was current at the time of the lockup. It won't even go into standby from the remote.

It does seem to be related to something in the CF (current version, auto updates) as I never had the problem before the CF was installed. Not sure if it is related to it doing an auto-update of a package or what. It did seem to stop locking up when I turned off the auto-update a while back. However it also seemed to be related to doing rs programming of programs to record :mad: which wasn't helpful ...

I had been contemplating having a timer in the power lead that would power it off for a half hour or so around 9am, on the basis that I don't tend to record anything around that time.

Mine gets hung up in a strange state at times, I normally have it playing the radio but the Linux portion hangs up and the screen saver stops updating.
I had that once, but someone accused me of lying about it and denying it happened. Nice to have somebody else back it up.
Reference

Back