Automatic Update

jsrobo

Am I right in thinking that after modifying the firmware and adding the excellent new web interface that any future over the air firmware update by Humax will return the hummy to a non modified state? Am I also correct that the new web interface will allow this OTA automatic update option to be cancelled. The obvious choice after updating to the new modified firmware and web interface. This then allows us to update the hummy when we choose to do not when Humax choose too!

I assume you are talking about the HDR-Fox T2 and not the FOXSAT which is a satellite receiver. (You have posted this in the FOXSAT forum)

If Humax choose to do an OTA update then all that will happen AFAIK, is that the box will revert to standard but the 'customised files/folders' will remain but orphaned. When the customised f/w has been updated and applied all should be well again.

That is my understanding. There hasn't been an OTA update since I started using the custom firmware.

You can, via the Remote Schedule pages, remove the 04:30 auto update check, but I am not too sure it the Hummy will re-create it. Someone else might be able to confirm that one.

Take a look here: http://www.hummypkg.org.uk/ and the WiKi which has a link at the top of this page.

I assume you are talking about the HDR-Fox T2 and not the FOXSAT which is a satellite receiver. (You have posted this in the FOXSAT forum)

If Humax choose to do an OTA update then all that will happen AFAIK, is that the box will revert to standard but the 'customised files/folders' will remain but orphaned. When the customised f/w has been updated and applied all should be well again.

That is my understanding. There hasn't been an OTA update since I started using the custom firmware.

You can, via the Remote Schedule pages, remove the 04:30 auto update check, but I am not too sure it the Hummy will re-create it. Someone else might be able to confirm that one.

Take a look here: http://www.hummypkg.org.uk/ and the WiKi which has a link at the top of this page.

Sorry Wallace didn't realise I wasn't in the HDR-Fox T2 section....apologies again...jsrobo

No need to apologise. I have, and continue to make, silly schoolboy errors when posting. I should learn to look before I leap.

Am I right in thinking that after modifying the firmware and adding the excellent new web interface that any future over the air firmware update by Humax will return the hummy to a non modified state

No but it makes the modded stuff inactive (although all the files will still be on the disk) - you can then apply the latest modded version over the new OTA update and it's all back again. There's usually a respective modded update out before the official OTA takes place becuase the modders get the new version from the Humax website way before the OTA takes place anyway.

Am I also correct that the new web interface will allow this OTA automatic update option to be cancelled.

Unfortunately not - we tried deleting the OTA check but the Hummy kept putting it back!

As I said when he posted in the Foxsat forum by mistake. At least you confirmed for me that the OTA check couldn't be permanently deleted, not something I tried.

It does seem to come back by itself after a while. I haven't tried changing the time of it or modifying some of the hidden configuration options related to OTA so it is still probable that something can be done. If nothing else, it could be forcibly removed each time the box is powered on.

Having said that, it's fairly unlikely that there will be more than one other update for the HD[R] Fox T2 and they have always in the past released it on their web site at least a couple of weeks before the OTA.

*Some have speculated that 1.02.20 is the last version we'll see..

Some have speculated that 1.02.20 is the last version we'll see..

So does that mean that apart from what you've already done with the modded firmware to do stuff with the box via telnet and web pages etc the actual way the box works on the TV is never going to be changeable? I'm thinking about what people have asked for relating to the font size and layout of the Media List, how it might be a better music player, adding extra functions to the OPT+ menu, adding additional Codecs etc etc. I presume that bit of the core operating system is untouchable other than by Humax? :(

Thanx everybody for all that... I think for the time being I'll leave well alone and not try cancelling the Automatic Update for the HDR Fox T2

I'm thinking about what people have asked for relating to the font size and layout of the Media List, how it might be a better music player, adding extra functions to the OPT+ menu, adding additional Codecs etc etc. I presume that bit of the core operating system is untouchable other than by Humax? :(

All that is in the humaxtv elf file which is a dodgy topic to talk about as it is property of Humax.

If someone anonymous were to decompile it however, change all the annoying things, and then manage to re-compile it back into an executable file however.... I would certainly buy them a drink or 6 !

I cant see it happening though unfortunatley :(

Back