AV Sender Recommendatons Welcome

JonF

I recently purchased a Freeview HDR-FOX T2/1TB.

I want to send recorded programmes to another TV in my house that has only scart and coax connections (not HD).

It is not practical to run cables between the units which are in separate rooms divided by one internal and one (previously) external wall - distance of less than 10 meters.

It has been suggested that (Scart?) AV Senders and Receivers might be a solution and would welcome any info you have on compatibility and/or suitability. In particular any recommendations for 5.8 kit.

I have raised the issue with Humax Support and received the following response "not been tested to know if the AV senders will work with our unit".

Many thanks

Jon

5.8 kit? What's that?

In general, you will find AV senders on the poor side of crap. Your best bet is to get a UHF modulator (£15 off eBay) and send it as an analogue TV channel over coax (an old VCR can do the same thing if you have one knocking about). If you are clever about it, it is possible to mix the Humax Channel into the aerial feed and make it available throughout the house.

The Humax Channel will be whatever the Humax outputs on the SCART port, so it's only going to be 625-line PAL quality.

5.8 kit? What's that?

In general, you will find AV senders on the poor side of crap. Your best bet is to get a UHF modulator (£15 off eBay) and send it as an analogue TV channel over coax (an old VCR can do the same thing if you have one knocking about). If you are clever about it, it is possible to mix the Humax Channel into the aerial feed and make it available throughout the house.

The Humax Channel will be whatever the Humax outputs on the SCART port, so it's only going to be 625-line PAL quality.

Many thanks for the post.

The 5.8 refers to the 5.8 GHz frequency which was recommended over the 2.4 GHz often used by AV Senders, to avoid interference with wifi etc. which also operate at 2.4 GHz. Apologies, should have made this clearer.

Could you expand on the "If you are clever about it, it is possible to mix the Humax Channel into the aerial feed and make it available throughout the house".

My ariel signal is split over 2 coax runs in the loft, the Humax is on one in the lounge and the second (target TV) is one the other in the extension.... in simple terms is it possible to feed the output from the modulator back up into the loft using the existing coax and via the splitter down the other run?

PAL quality would be fine.

Cheers Jon

Hi and thanks for the post....

I have managed to use an old VCR to generate a RF output and proved it by connecting a spare TV to this output and successfully viewed recording on the Humax.

However, when I try to feed this back into the coax network all I manage to achieved is an absolutely awful sound quality and even worse picture!

I am assuming that this is down to the spiders web of coax that support 4 active and one non-active TV sockets...

Any thoughts/observations very welcome.

Cheers Jon

I installed a second coax from the loft to the main TV point to act as an up link (done this in two houses). The main aerial comes straight down to the "control centre" where the VCR is/was located, then the VCR output is sent back up to the loft and through a distribution amp to the rest of the house.

With DSO a slightly different arrangement is necessary, the aerial signal needs to be split and sent to the control centre, then the modulator output sent up the second coax and mixed in to the second aerial split and into the distribution amp. Of course the modulator needs to be set to a frequency clear of any broadcast channel in the area.

I then used the IR back-channel on a set of AV senders (one "transmitter" - actually the control channel receiver - can serve several "receivers" - control channel transmitters) without using the video channel.

Back