Back-door Access to WiFi Settings?

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I am particularly interested in respect of my HD-FOX, but this applies equally to the HDR-FOX.

I have a WiFi password which includes the "%" character - which is a problem because there is no "%" on the Humax data entry screen. I can change my password (and reconfigure all my WiFi devices - pain), but I first wonder whether there is a back way in to insert the relevant details into a file or something. Would be a lot easier.

Yes, the % can certainly be inserted by hand. I don't know if the HD would understand/use it although I would expect that it would.

Set the passphrase to something else and use a unique character instead of the % - in this example assume you've used a capital Z there.

Using telnet:

Code:
humax# sqlite3 /var/lib/humaxtv/setup.db
sqlite3> update TBL_MENUCONFIG set itemBlob =  replace(itemBlob, 'Z', '%') where itemName = 'WLAN_CONNECTED_AP';
sqlite3> .exit

Then restart the box using the remote, allowing for full shut down before powering up.

I haven't tested this, but it should work. Pick a unique character which doesn't appear in either your SSID or key.

That's good, but could I replace the whole string (which is too long)? How to substitute "fred" with "afgyrdghhggfchhhffvhh"?

...also, how much of the MSP do I need up and running to do this? Can I just telnet in, or do I need a fully-modded set-up with sqlite3 installed?

That's good, but could I replace the whole string (which is too long)? How to substitute "fred" with "afgyrdghhggfchhhffvhh"?
Not as easily as that database field has multiple things encoded within it. At the very least, you need to enter a passphrase of the correct length into the on-screen dialogue.

...also, how much of the MSP do I need up and running to do this? Can I just telnet in, or do I need a fully-modded set-up with sqlite3 installed?

Just the sqlite3 package (which is one of the dependencies for webif so if you have that then you certainly have enough).

Hmph. I think it will be easier to change my system password to something I can get into the Humax before it times out (and then change everything else to match).

Thanks for listening.

Code:
humax# sqlite3 /var/lib/humaxtv/setup.db
sqlite3> update TBL_MENUCONFIG set itemBlob =  replace(itemBlob, 'Z', '%') where itemName = 'WLAN_CONNECTED_AP';
sqlite3> .exit
I'm thinking I might try this first. Does the code work regardless of the length of the substitution strings (as long as they are equal)? What happens if the input line wraps? Can I prepare it as a script??

I have a maximal length string (63 random characters) so I could just click "A" 63 times within the timeout, and the rest can be copy-and-paste.

Back