Backing up HDD

Switch it off at the wall. That generally causes a reboot once the mains id re-applied.

There might not have been anything wrong that needed sorting. What you've done is interrupt progress so you have to start all over again.
It was stuck on one channel and not responding to any buttons. Powering off and on made no difference. It seems to be working now, I will just have to see if it records as scheduled. Previously it hadn't been reliably, which is why I started this thread.

I think that's what we call 'crashed'. When you said Powering off above, did you mean with the remote control? Because the remote control does not power it off, it puts it into standby which it can't do if the box has crashed.

@BH. But 'Switch it off at the wall' is pretty universally understood to mean ';remove the mains supply' without the necessity to explain that there is a switch 'round the back somewhere'.
Yes. I do know about the switch on the back top left as you are facing the front (See what I mean), and that's the one that I use as it happens. Far more convenient than the switch 'off/on the wall' which is behind a load of 'stuff'.

Yes. I do know about the switch on the back top left as you are facing the front (See what I mean), and that's the one that I use as it happens. Far more convenient than the switch 'off/on the wall' which is behind a load of 'stuff'.
Think yourself lucky. Newer Humaxes don't have a switch round the back. Rebooting a 2000T usually works by pressing the front panel on/off for more than 5s. In my case a 5000T requires locating the transformer plug (behind loads of stuff and on an extension cable) and yank it out, wait 10s (ish) and reinsert. If I go for the on/off wall switch I've got to bend down, locate the switch under a bookcase, and turn off four devices at the same time. I think I've managed to reboot a 5000T in the 2000T style once. Every other time it just keeps switching from on to standby continuously. :frantic:

I think that's what we call 'crashed'. When you said Powering off above, did you mean with the remote control? Because the remote control does not power it off, it puts it into standby which it can't do if the box has crashed.
As you say, it had crashed. It wouldn't respond to the standby button (or any others) on the remote or the front panel so I powered off using the rocker switch.

As you say, it had crashed. It wouldn't respond to the standby button (or any others) on the remote or the front panel so I powered off using the rocker switch.
Well, it would have been in Maintenance Mode to be running fixdisk, so would we expect it to respond to the remote etc? The way out of Maintenance Mode is to reboot (by power cycling).

Well, it would have been in Maintenance Mode to be running fixdisk, so would we expect it to respond to the remote etc?
No of course not, hence my request for the auto-mute in maintenance mode some years ago.
But you can't tell people who think they know better. Just leave 'em to their ignorance is increasingly my way these days.

If it records according to the schedule I will consider it fixed. If not, I'll have to think of a plan B
Well it's been recording OK, but every Tursday morning it ties itself in knots, resulting in it reformating the HDD and wiping all my recordings. Fix-disk does not help - it seems to go in a loop, stopping for a couple of hours showing the same lines (e.g. ... <inode #8364, mod time Sun Aug 18 06:01:49 etc), before repeating. Are there any other diagnostic routines I can run? Or any other suggestions? The box is a Foxsat HDR.

Back