Backing up HDD

That's about HDR-FOX and HD-FOX, not FOXSAT-HDR. From the Things Every... (click) first post:

I was aware of that, grahamlthompson pointed it out in an earlier post.

Just to check: you are following instructions for installing CF on FOXSAT-HDR not HDR-FOX?

Correct. I downloaded 'raydons_Media_and_File_Server_Bundle_for_the_Foxsat_HDR_release_4.1.3.rar"

Extracted the files using 7-zip, and copied FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf to the root directory of a 8GB USB stick. Just to be sure(!), I reformatted the stick (full reformat, not Quick Format), to FAT32. There were no other files on it when I tried to install.

You mentioned Ext3; Windows PCs don't usually recognise Ext3. In any case, anyone with a Windows PC can easily run Linux tools: download and burn a "live Linux" image to a USB stick/drive or DVD-R (if you have an optical drive), then boot your PC from that. Bingo, you will be running Linux without affecting your normal Windows. Here's one specifically for doing disk drive type jobs:

Having fired up Linux, it will then be easy to prepare an Ext3 drive, and duplicate one Ext3 drive to another (which is what I take to understand you want to achieve).

Thanks for that. Right now, my priority is to try to get the thing working again. It's not responding to any buttons, so I can't get it into Standby mode. Ideally I would restore it to standard Firmware and take it from there. Any suggestions welcome.

I was aware of that, grahamlthompson pointed it out in an earlier post.

Correct. I downloaded 'raydons_Media_and_File_Server_Bundle_for_the_Foxsat_HDR_release_4.1.3.rar"

Extracted the files using 7-zip, and copied FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf to the root directory of a 8GB USB stick. Just to be sure(!), I reformatted the stick (full reformat, not Quick Format), to FAT32. There were no other files on it when I tried to install.

Thanks for that. Right now, my priority is to try to get the thing working again. It's not responding to any buttons, so I can't get it into Standby mode. Ideally I would restore it to standard Firmware and take it from there. Any suggestions welcome.

Flashing the CF will restore the latest standard Humax firmware. The procedure is identical to flashing the latest released Humax Firmware.

On your Windows PC do you have hide known file extensions selected ? if so the file you have may be called FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf.hdf.

Did you find the front USB port.

When you are sure you have the correct file in the root file of a usb stick. Turn off the power to to the box and leave it off for 5 mins or so. This ensures the box is completely in standby. If it's not the box will look for media files it can play. If the USB stick led lights the box is not fully in standby. You will have to start again. With the led stick inserted switch on the box rear power switch. Follow the instructions. A sucessfull flash will replace the file on the USB stick with a text file confirming the preliminary basic install has been made, Reboot the box to complete the download of the remainder of the CF files.

When you then boot the box the front display will confirm the CF is booting.

Last edited:
Thanks, we are getting somewhere now.

I've got to the point where the box has downloaded from the USB stick, 'END' has appeared in the display and it has powered down. As that it done, or do I leave the USB stick in and press Standby for a final time? Call me over-cautious, but I don't want any more scares.

Thanks, we are getting somewhere now.

I've got to the point where the box has downloaded from the USB stick, 'END' has appeared in the display and it has powered down. As that it done, or do I leave the USB stick in and press Standby for a final time? Call me over-cautious, but I don't want any more scares.

Remove the USB stick. Power Down, Reboot the box. Open a web browser on any device on your network. Enter the ip address of your Foxsat-HDR into the url and you should see the Web Interface appear. From there you can add the packages you want.

Looking good. The basic install simply installs a basic web interface to the box viewable in most any web browser.

Once you have this you are on your way.

Up and running now, thanks, that's great.

I will leave installing other packages for another time.

Cheers

First thing you need to do is install Nowsters Patch, This records HD without encryption on new recordings. You can then view and stream HD recordings elsewhere. On a phone, tablet etc.

Well it was going quite well, and the box has been working normally; a bit more responsive if anything. I have been exploring some of the packages and feeling quite positive.
Now, however, the thing has gone into limbo. The red light is on the front panel, the display shows "Custom FW v 4.1.3", but it is otherwise unresponsive. No output to the TV and I can't access it from my PC.

Any ideas?

After leaving it alone overnight, the box had gone into standby, and is now working normally. Hopefully this will not be a recurring problem.

When at the Post #27 stage, did you power cycle the box? It's probably the overnight 'housekeeping' that 'fixed' it.

Good point - I did switch the power off. When powered up again, it went back to being unresponsive, but it had sorted itself out by the following morning.

Well that didn't work out well!
I ran fix-disk and, as it didn't resolve the problems I was having, I ran it again, several times. Then, most of my recordings disappeared from the schedule, although they were visible via Filezilla.
I used Filezilla to copy them to an external drive, and after about 8 hours, the PC rebooted itself and they are no longer visible. I hoped to retry today but, meanwhile, the HDR has decided to reformat itself and now I have lost all the recordings.
Any suggestions as to how I might recover the recordings from the external hard drive?

Thanks

Going back to post #1. You do realise a factory reset does no delete your recordings ? It will delete the recording schedule. Just photograph it first with a digital camera.

Going back to post #1. You do realise a factory reset does no delete your recordings ? It will delete the recording schedule. Just photograph it first with a digital camera.

Thanks. Yes, done that, and I will re-program the schedule. I'd still like to get the old recordings back though.

Thanks. Yes, done that, and I will re-program the schedule. I'd still like to get the old recordings back though.

What filesystem is on the USB Drive ? Can you access the drive in windows Explorer. If so is it just one partition ? If Windows is set to hide known file extensions. Change the settings to show all files.

Can you see the video partition on the HDR-FOX-T2 using filezilla ? Each recording comprises 3 files with the same name but with a different extension.

xxxx,ts (the actual video and audio). xxxx.hmt (contains details like the programme synopses, start date and time etc. plus xxxx.nts (a binary file that the FOX-T2 uses for navigation).

Firstly you will have to copy all 3 files for each recording to the HDR-FOX-T2 Video partition).

Lastly you may have to correct the entries in the .hmt file that tells the box where .ts file is.

If you find one that doesn't play. Simply elect to rename the file using the HDR-FOX-T2 menus. No need to change anything as not changing the name does the required changes.

It's an HDR, not T2, but I guess the same applies.

I could see all the files, in Filezilla and Explorer, until it rebooted. Now I can't see anything.

It's an HDR, not T2, but I guess the same applies.

I could see all the files, in Filezilla and Explorer, until it rebooted. Now I can't see anything.

Sorry - following too many threads. The files if you have them need copying back to the video partition in SDA3.

After many hours running fix-disk, during which thousands of 8-character numbers scrolled up the screen, the system seems to be frozen. How do I get it out of Maintenance Mode and back to normal?

Back