Backup / Restore Humax 9300T to HDR Fox 2

phd

I see that there is the humaxrw utility package to copy files from a 9300T to the HDR, question is, can this be used to restore the files back from the HDR Fox 2 onto a 9300T that has been freshly formatted?
What command options should be used to this?

I see that there is the humaxrw utility package to copy files from a 9300T to the HDR, question is, can this be used to restore the files back from the HDR Fox 2 onto a 9300T that has been freshly formatted?
I don't know for sure but I would be doubtful because you won't have the required sidecar files on the HDR-FOX T2. Hopefully xyz321 will be able to give a definitive answer.

Having plugged the 9300 hd into USB port how do I mount it? What device should it be?

Found it to be /dev/sda device name. Humaxrw -b backs up to current dir, including ts, elu, epg, and hre files, hopefully what’s needed to restore.
Hopefully -p option can put them back?

If a USB drive is present at boot time, the internal HDD is /dev/sdb and the USB drive is /dev/sda. If the HDR-FOX boots without a USB drive present, the internal HDD is /dev/sda and a subsequent USB drive is /dev/sdb. It is always worth checking which is which before performing anything destructive!

Which drive is which when there are two (or more) USB drives connected is anybody’s guess.

Last edited:
If a USB drive is present at boot time, the internal HDD is /dev/sda and the USB drive is /dev/sdb. If the HDR-FOX boots without a USB drive present, the internal HDD is /dev/sda and a subsequent USB drive is /dev/sdb.
I'm guessing that's not what you meant to say :)

All looked good. Fdisk -l listed the devices, /dev/sda was the 9300T, copped off using the -b option ok, it took a few goes to work out the -p option, but humaxrw -p “*.ts”/dev/sda worked. After each .ts it copied the corresponding support files. Plugged it all back together and all works fine.
9300T was getting really slow, a defrag equivalent by copy / format / restore I thought would be easiest to speed it up. Seems to have done so.
Thanks.

Not sure what happened, all looked good to start with, but after recording more new programmes, the ones I put back on, stopped being able to play, locking up the box.
Just have to start again with a freshly recorded drive. Looking at the disk to try copying off again, it shows most of the programmes having file allocation errors, and files are truncating to 385mb! Not sure what’s going on. Maybe humaxrw not compatible with version of 9300T firmware version?

Last edited:
Seems like the 9300s capacity for screwing up its filesystem is not that far away from the 9200s (which is very high).
The best thing Humax did with the T2 was dumping that junk and using a standard one.

Just have to start again with a freshly recorded drive. Looking at the disk to try copying off again, it shows most of the programmes having file allocation errors, and files are truncating to 385mb! Not sure what’s going on. Maybe humaxrw not compatible with version of 9300T firmware version?
The first thing to do would be to run the hard drive manufacturers diagnostics on the hard drive. I have seen some hard drives from 9200/9300s in a truly terrible state that would challenge any file system. It is possible that the hard drive is reallocating sectors and has run out of spare sectors.

The drive is not the original one, since that died, it is a 500mb drive. I ended up just wiping it and starting over again.
It's a shame I deleted the files of the HDR-T2 HD after copying them back over the first time, but when I first plugged it back in and all the files where listed, and testing a few they seemed to play, I thought it all worked fine. Still we live and learn!
I managed to download some of the stuff on Sky via the catch up services, so that reduced the losses.

Back