Backup to a NAS

D

Deleted member 473

Is there a simple way to mirror the contents of my T2 to a NAS?

I would also like to do the same for my Foxsat HDR, but where would I post a thread addressing both?

That was simple - unless you've no understanding of unix/linux
Even then there is probably a version of rsync for Windows if you look

I have a casual understanding of linux/unix but I wondered whether there was a simple method. I have never used rsync.

It's also complicated by the fact that the hummy isn't permanently on, even if the NAS is.

Note that you can use rsync over SSH, easily; you may find using SSH easier than setting up a share. Or not... :)

That's how I do it, anyway.

Not sure if I have understood this right but I think the OP is wanting to run the sync job on the Hummy since it is unlikely to be possible to run any jobs directly on the NAS.

I looked into this and ran into all sorts of issues. I am familiar with rsync and it was the first place I looked but I was unable to get the Hummy to ssh onto the NAS and the NAS did not have a suitable rsync client either. In the end I gave it up as a bad job and decided I didn't really need to do this in any case. This was a couple of years ago and it is possible that recent updates to the CF have made it simpler but I know for a fact that my NAS has had no updates in that time. Maybe mounting the NAS on the Hummy would make things simpler but I don't think that was an option back then.

Note that you can use rsync over SSH, easily; you may find using SSH easier than setting up a share. Or not... :)

That's how I do it, anyway.

I can ssh into either end, Hummy or NAS. The problem then is that at the NAS end I get an error that no rsync server is running. At the Hummy, I get the message that "module is read only!"

Also, rcp is not available on the NAS.

It's also complicated by the fact that the hummy isn't permanently on, even if the NAS is.

That can be fixed in the menu settings of the humax disabling automatic power off.

As regards backups I dont know if this would work for Win8 but id did for XP.

Mounting the source drive onto XP eg drive K: and the destination drive as drive Y:

use x-copy in the cmd prompt. I dont know how to get the cmd prompt on WIN8 (On XP it is Start>Run type cmd)

then type

Code:
Xcopy K:\    Y:\Backup\  /k/r/e/z/d/i/y

the /k/r/e.... attributes can be explained if you google XCOPY. Basically this backs up all the files from drive K to a folder named 'Backup' on Drive Y (e.g. NAS mounted on XP), showing you the progress as it goes along. It also maintains directory structure.

The best thing is if there is a network interruption pressing [arrow up] repeats the command you just press return and it starts off where it was interrupted.

Try it on a small folder or file first.

On XP the cmd uses shortend versions of files and folders e.g. a folder TheBestCooking might be abbreviated to TheB~9. To get what the shortend name of the files e.g. on drive K I type

Code:
dir K:\ /X

It is slow 100Mbps depending on connection but reliable in that you know every file is fully backed up.

I have backed up now. The trouble with using the PC is that everything goes via the PC, whereas if you can telnet/ssh into the Hummy or NAS then the files are copied direct, not via the PC.

In the end, I used Filezilla to copy all my recordings onto my laptop HDD, with resume enabled. One gotcha was that the Hummy shut down after a few hours. Another was that the Hummy will not resume transfers of over 2Gb, and there were a few! The solution was to delete the failed files from my laptop and re-queue the transfers.

Is some helpful soul going to automate backup to a NAS (or any share, really) as a package? It seems an essential tool, given that if the HDD crashes, you lose everything.

I can ssh into either end, Hummy or NAS. The problem then is that at the NAS end I get an error that no rsync server is running.

Odd. I use rsync over SSH from UNIX clients to connect to the Humax. That does not require an rsync daemon to be running on the Humax: the rsync on the UNIX client will start up an rsync process on the Humax, for it to talk to.

Back