Bad Sectors

catthing

hi everyone,
I installed the custom firmware (HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.00) on my Humax HDR FOX T2 and had problems relating to bad sectors on the 1 tbyte hard drive, having nothing special on it i formatted the drive and did a disc check, this came up with error 8.
doing a bit more reading i found out about the putty program and ran fix-disk this kept finding bad sectors/blokes and asking if i wanted to repair them so i did this about one hundred times and then stopped the program and restarted the humax, this seems to be working and recording ok but when i looked at the full web interface it said there were problems still.

now how do i get the web interface to bring back the bit that said about the problems, please forgive any mistakes i make here as ive got a bit of chemo brain going on.
thanks for any help.

You need to run fix-disk in maintenance mode until ALL the bad sectors have been fixed.

I suggest you refer to http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Disk_Problem

In Webif, select Diagnostics and press the "Hard disk" button this will tell you the state of your disk.

If it's bad, you may need to run disk recovery procedures. These are referred to in detail elsewhere on the forum. I'll try to find the ref (usually supplied by Black Hole) and get back to you.

EDIT: Just crossed prpr's response.

hi again, I have read the above threads and from this i understand that my humax has had the continuous delete thing which i corrected by formatting and also one other issues of freezing which i took to be bad data on the disc so i again formatted,
i am as i write running fix-disc which is showing, Error at lba 1778229605, do you wish to attempt repair of the bad block. i reply yes, then i get /Dev/sda; rewriting sector 1778229605; succeeded ect ect.
oh yes when i looked at the web interface i got this, Disk offline sector count is: 288 (was 284) Disk pending sector count is: 288 (was 284) as this appears to be going up im worried.
i know there's a lot of blocks on my hard drive and not knowing if the bad block count is hundreds or thousands is worrying.
its a shame there is not a repair all bad blocks option or a way of finding out how many bad blocks we are talking.
is xing out of the fix disc and then returning later a bad thing to do?
i will carry on pressing Y on fix-disc for as long as i can today, oh and now i think of it would it do any good to remove the hard drive and hook it up to my pc to fix it that way.

oh yes when i looked at the web interface i got this, Disk offline sector count is: 288 (was 284) Disk pending sector count is: 288 (was 284) as this appears to be going up im worried.
Those numbers are a matter of some concern and I would persist with fix-disk for as long as it takes. What is the reallocated sector count?

in case its not obvious im a non-technical user so i do not understand what webif is.
i dont seem to be able to get into the web interface at the moment to check the reallocated sector count but earlier today the two figures i gave you were all it mentioned, yesterday the only other number i saw was 7?.
by any chance is webif web interface...

i dont seem to be able to get into the web interface at the moment to check the reallocated sector count but earlier today the two figures i gave you were all it mentioned, yesterday the only other number i saw was 7?.
The web interface isn't available whilst running fix-disk; have a look when it has finished and give us the reallocated sector count; that is the one where values of hundred of sectors are acceptable. Having any pending or off line sectors is a worry.

ok, when the web-fix ends or i have to stop i will try to check the reallocated sector count, its just that today when i looked it only said about pending and offline and didnt mention the reallocated sector count so if it does this again how do i find it.

ok, ive stopped fix-disc for now, wife wants to watch tv. looking at the webif i get;
Disk realloc sector count is: 114 (was 113)
Disk pending sector count is: 288 (was 284)
Disk offline sector count is: 288 (was 284)

Line 5 (relocated) has been reported as O.K. with figures over 1000, but lines 197 and 198 usually indicate real problems when above zero, so I would say bad

thank you for your help, im off work at the moment long term as a cancer patient (in remission) so money is thin on the ground, i think the best move is to leave it until i get a total fail then think about a replacement drive.
again thank you.

If you are willing to lose any current content, and are willing to get your hands dirty, you could go for a full disk format (not the quickie that the Humax option uses). Either remove the drive and use a bootable Linux on a PC to run a full format to Ext3 and then format it again with the Humax menus, or use the Telnet command line to access the Linux utilities on-box.

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog

I think you could do a full clean format to NTFS and then let the Humax convert it back to Ext3 (with the required partition structure etc), but really it's no problem booting your PC to Linux - just download the GParted iso image (click) and burn it to a CD/DVD, then boot your PC from it and voila you have a PC running Linux. To return to Windows just remove the CD and reboot.

Back