[badnts] Package To Clean Up Faulty BBC3HD/BBC4HD Recordings

Hhmmm...

I installed badnts and I set the folder containing a 1.1GB recording that is showing zero on the TV UI to auto-decrypt.

Yesterday, I enabled Content Sharing.

Today, I can see via Web-IF that the file has the green "Indexed by DLNA Server" icon.

The file is still showing zero in the TV UI and, therefore will not play.

Is there anything else I need to do?

FYI

Web interface version: 1.0.17-8
Custom firmware version: 2.15 (build 1496)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_1.02.29)

Any help gratefully received.

I can't help with your specific issue, but if you want to make the file playable, the pre-badnts options described by Black Hole here may help:

Actually the individual variations available by perming every possible decrypt method with every means of removing the sidecars or playing the .ts elsewhere is a rather long list, and I was attempting to summarise (apparently ineffectively).

Let me try again:

Introduction

Some recordings from the recently-introduced BBC3HD and BBC4HD services fail to play back due to being "zero length", while in fact the recording .ts file exists but cannot be played because of corrupt .hmt and .nts "sidecar" files. The sidecar files cannot be simply deleted, because all recordings are encrypted and the .hmt file carries essential information for the playback of encrypted recordings. Being HiDef, the recordings are also protected from being decrypted by the simple expedient of copying to USB.

For an explanation of terms and acronyms see the Glossary (click).

Methods to Play a HiDef Recording That Fails due to Corrupt Sidecar Files - Without Custom Firmware

1. Use a networked HD-FOX or HDR-FOX to access and play the recording by DLNA with DTCP (Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network).

2. Use Foxy to decrypt the .ts (see Things Every... section 5 for details). This results in a decrypted .ts plus the sidecar files on a USB drive (but see Things Every... section 12 regarding file size limitations). The decrypted .ts can now be played directly with a PC or media player, or by deleting the sidecar files (by whatever means, including FTP to the HDR-FOX) the .ts can be played by the HDR-FOX directly from the USB drive or by copying it back to the HDR-FOX internal drive.

Methods to Play a HiDef Recording That Fails due to Corrupt Sidecar Files - With Custom Firmware

1. Use the CF auto-unprotect package to make the .ts playable by DLNA (without DTCP) from any media player (that is DLNA and HiDef TS capable) - auto-unprotect defeats the content delivery protection that would otherwise prevent a HiDef recording from being played this way.

2. Use any means to decrypt the .ts (see Things Every... section 5 for details), then any means to delete the sidecar files to render the .ts playable on the HDR-FOX, or play the .ts on any device other than an HD/HDR-FOX.

@Last.To.Know: have you also installed the auto-unprotect package? Has the programme been decrypted: if so there should be a green 'dec' icon next to it in Web-If? There should also be an entry in the auto.log file. You can manually delete the sidecar files by FTP, for example, but if you do this before the file is decrypted it will be unplayable.

I can now play the file!

Thanks to catnap, Black Hole and, of course, af123.

I thought I'd pull together all the scattered useful information.

Guide to fixing Zero-size non-playable recordings, often from BBC3 and BBC4.

You need Customised Firmware and the Web-IF package installed.

On the TV, go into
Humax Setting > Internet > Content Share
Set to "On".

On the PC, use Web-IF to install

• the auto-unprotect package
  • the auto-decrypt package and
  • the badnts package.

Find the folder containing the non-playable file that the TV UI says is zero-size, but don't click into it.
Instead, click on the folder's grey OPT+ button and choose "Enable Auto-decrypt".

Wait a while, and the file should now be playable, although fast-forward etc. will not be available.

Back