PH111

Basic backup Question

I would like to backup my files.

I have installed the following…

BootHDR
auto-unprotect
ntfs-3g
samba

I’ve bought a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive [STBV2000200] - (should I reformat this to NTFS)

Can I use Windows explorer to just copy the My Video folder to the 2TB drive

Thanks for providing this software

Edit

Thanks for helping me get these files back in the first place

Do you have a HDR-Fox T2 or a HD-Fox T2?, the BootHDR package is only installed to a HD-Fox T2 as it's job is to fool the Humax acting as if it was a HDR-Fox T2. All recordings are encrypted and will only play back on the Humax that recorded it, unless they are decrypted first. It is O.K. to format the USB 2TB drive as NTFS and then get the Humax to write to this drive as long as ntfs-3g is operational, without ntfs-3g the Humax won't write to an NTFS drive. I'm not sure you can copy from internal Hard Drive to USB hard drive using Windows Explorer, I would connect the USB drive to a P.C. and FTP the files from your Humax to the USB 2TB dirve over a LAN cable

Thanks Ezra

It is a HDR Fox 2.

I will try windows explorer, but if I can't manage that came you give me a link to how to ftp (as I haven't done that in many years.

I will be connecting the 2Tb drive to the PC

Thanks so much for your prompt answer

In the first instance read Things Every... (click) sections 5 and 12. These explain what you can and can't do using the standard HDR-FOX without custom firmware, with links to other information including custom firmware.

The process of copying to USB using the remote control handset, not any network process, decrypts the recordings on copy for StDef only, but with auto-unprotect installed HiDef recordings will also be decrypted on copy (there are other ways of decrypting).

Your "expansion drive" I take to mean a USB drive. It is probably already formatted NTFS. The problem with file sizes on FAT32 drives is side-stepped by ntfs-3g, so that the HDR-FOX can write to NTFS drives, but note that some people have trouble with it.

With auto-unprotect and ntfs-3g installed (and working!) all you need to do is use the handset Media button and mark all the content you want to copy with the red button (including folders), then the OPT+ button move/copy option to copy to the USB drive (do not navigate into the drive when selecting, click OK on the drive itself) - then leave it to get on with the job for many, many hours.

The result should be all your recordings copied to USB, and playable on a PC if you move the drive across. You could do this without auto-unprotect and ntfs-3g as long as the drive was formatted Ext3 and you didn't mind the HiDef files still being encrypted (only playable on the original Humax).

Thanks Ezra It is a HDR Fox 2. I will try windows explorer, but if I can't manage that came you give me a link to how to ftp (as I haven't done that in many years.

As you have a HDR Fox T2, the BootHDR package is not required and should not be run on your Humax

There is a WiKi link to some info. on FTP HERE, Note you don't need the betaftpd package installed to access media files

As you have a HDR Fox T2, the BootHDR package is not required and should not be run on your Humax

There is a WiKi link to some info. on FTP HERE, Note you don't need the betaftpd package installed to access media files

Thank Ezra - Have uninstalled BootHDR. And thanks for the link.

Back