Basic help with MediaTomb telnet

mookuss

Hi guys.

Firstly a big thanks for the custom firmware. I'm a total noob but I'm having great fun with it. I've managed to get most things working that I want, but have hit a brick wall now...

I want to be able to add mpg files to mediatomb, and from what I've read I believe I need to edit the config file using telnet. Unfortunately I've never used telnet, and after a couple of hours trying to work out what I need to do I think it's time to ask for help...!

So far all I've been able to do is connect to my humax via putty, but have no idea what command lines I now need to use to access the config file and start making changes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

There are notes for most packages including Telnet on the WiKi notes page HERE, however files can be edited from the Web-If >> Diagnostics >> File Editor >> select file

I've tried editing the config file from the web-if, but get the message
>>> File /mod/mediatomb/config/config.xml is not a plain file (application/xml)
This is why I was hoping to use telnet to edit the file instead

Ah, O.K. as you say the file editor will only work on plain text files. If you are not familiar with Unix editors such as vi it's a bit of a risky thing to do, you could get a copy of the file onto a computer using FTP, duplicate it so you have an original and a copy to edit and then FTP an edited version back to the Humax
EDIT
If you are familiar with Unix editors, you would proceed something like this but as I say this is risky if you don't know your way around Unix / Linux commands :-

Code:
cd /mod/mediatomb/config
cp config.xml config.xml.org
vi config.xml

If you are a Unix/Linux noob, then you don't want to be using "vi". It's a complete nightmare.
Install "nano" on the Web-if and then use that instead of vi on the command line.

Thanks guys. I'm definitely making progress!

I've now used the command lines you suggested and can see the config file. The really confusing thing is I can't see where I need to make my entry for mpg files. From reading I thought I had to copy a similar looking entry and put the below in
<map from="mpg" to="video/mpeg"/>
I can't see anything that looks remotely like this.

There are similar looking entries in mappings.xml. Do I need to make the amendment here?

Re FTPing the file. When I connect via FTP I can only see the Media folder, and nothing else. Do you need to do something clever to see the entire folder structure?

Update

I've added the line into the mappings.xml file and restarted everything but still can't add mpg files into Mediatomb.

If you are a Unix/Linux noob, then you don't want to be using "vi". It's a complete nightmare.
Install "nano" on the Web-if and then use that instead of vi on the command line.

vi must be one of the primary reasons why Unix didn't succeed. (Emacs too.) If Unix gurus had not been so obsessed with these two editors, what a different world we might live in now. No MSDOS. Unix develops its X Windows and GUI shells and everyone uses them. No Windoze or OSX. Ah! Bliss!

you could get a copy of the file onto a computer using FTP, duplicate it so you have an original and a copy to edit and then FTP an edited version back to the Humax
Be very careful with this. Editing a file on a Windows computer for export to a Linux computer (ie the HDR-FOX) can easily end in tears because of the differing line-end conventions.

Re FTPing the file. When I connect via FTP I can only see the Media folder, and nothing else. Do you need to do something clever to see the entire folder structure?
To gain access to the entire folder structure you need to turn off the in-built Humax FTP server with Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Settings >> FTP Server = OFF and install the Custom Firmware version called Betaftpd, WiKi notes are HERE

Thanks for the help guys. I managed to ftp the file to my pc where i could easily see where I needed to make the entry. File now updated and I can see mpg files in Mediatomb. Thanks again.

Back