BBC 1 and 2 intermittent poor signal

surefire

I live in the Nottingham area and for the last few weeks I have been getting regular poor reception on BBC 1 and 2. It nearly always occurs around 6 pm and lasts for half an hour or so. Almost all other times there are no problems. All other channels are OK. When it does happen the signal quality drops so low that the screen goes completely blank. Can anyone think why this would be? I'm quite confused.

I live in the Nottingham area and for the last few weeks I have been getting regular poor reception on BBC 1 and 2. It nearly always occurs around 6 pm and lasts for half an hour or so. Almost all other times there are no problems. All other channels are OK. When it does happen the signal quality drops so low that the screen goes completely blank. Can anyone think why this would be? I'm quite confused.
What is the signal strength reported by the Humax?

Local interference affecting only the BBC Mux frequency ? The fact that it happens at the same time each day will probably be the clue to tracking it down e.g. something in or around your house turns on at this time, a neighbour comes home and uses electrical appliances at this time. A bit of arc welding before settling down to watch the TV :)

When I look at the channel information in the diag tab of the custom firmware I find west midlands, east yorks and Lincs
and an entry entitled nown. Could these be interfering with the main east midland transmissions where I live? If so is
there any way of deleting these transmitters using the custom firmware? I don't really fancy doing a retune.

During the interference the signal level drops down to two bars and the quality drops to two bars also. I have noticed
the signal break up increasingly at other times recently. Still only the BBC channels though.

All of the channels you are receiving are from the East Midlands transmitter. Channel 22 (East Yorks), Channel 25 (nown) and Channel 43 (West Mid) have no LCN channels stored against them, (in the Channels column), so they won't be causing any problems for the East Midlands LCN channels as there are no duplicates of the East Midlands ones. The strange thing is that 43 West Midlands should be carrying MUX PSB1 / BBC A rather than Local

When I look at the channel information in the diag tab of the custom firmware I find west midlands, east yorks and Lincs
and an entry entitled nown. Could these be interfering with the main east midland transmissions where I live?
No.
If so is there any way of deleting these transmitters using the custom firmware?
Yes. If you are happy to use Telnet, then copy/paste the following at the #humax prompt:
Code:
/etc/init.d/S90settop shut
sleep 5
sqlite3 /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db
delete from tbl_ts where abs(ulfrequency-(22*8+306)*1000)<1000;
delete from tbl_ts where abs(ulfrequency-(25*8+306)*1000)<1000;
delete from tbl_ts where abs(ulfrequency-(43*8+306)*1000)<1000;
.q
sleep 2
reboot

Back