BBC AR Funnies

BBC1 seem to have created a couple of problems for AR users.

1. Last Friday's (21st Feb) episode of Doctors (13:45-14;15) was replaced by coverage the Olympics. That episode was broadcast at 13;45 yesterday (Monday 24th) immediately followed by the originally scheduled Monday episode. My HDR, which is set to record Doctors as an AR series, recorded the delayed Friday episode but failed to record the subsequent original Monday episode which started at 14:15. Both episodes had the same series CRID with the associated programme CRIDs of 1FHOED and 1FHOEE (BBC1 SD). The series is scheduled for the rest of the week.

2. I series record Blandings on BBC1 HD on my HD Fox and TVonics. Yesterday, on both boxes, I noticed that the next episode (Sunday 2nd March) was not scheduled to record. In both boxes EPGs Blandings is listed for BBC1SD but not for BBC1HD.

SD. Pointless Celebrities 17:15 to 18:05 followed by the BBC News 18:05 to 18:20 then the Local News 18:20 to 18:30 and then Blandings from 18:30 to 19:00.

HD. Pointless Celebrities 17:15 to 17:50 followed by This is BBC One HD (HD place holder for the Local News broadcast) from 17:50 to 19:00.

I shall leave both boxes timers to see what happens but set up a SD recording on the Tvonics as a back up.

It is interesting to compare the handling of series between the HD/HDR Fox and the Tvonics. I originally set up to record Doctor Who on the HD Fox on Really on Fridays and the re-broadcast on Saturday on the Tvonics. Then I added the "other" broadcasts to both boxes.

The HD Fox has kept both series - they have different series CRIDs but the same programme CRIDs. The Tvonics has "dumped" the Saturday series repeat on the grounds that it is already scheduled to record those programmes on the Friday; even though they have different series CRIDs.

Martin

I too noticed Blandings is showing in the 'no schedule' area at present.
I have noticed 'lost' or messed up future series schedules in the past (not sure which channel(s) though) but have just kept an eye on them. Usually they get sorted out a day or two before the actual recording is due, presumably because the broadcaster has become aware of the error and corrected the IDs, so that is my plan for now. If Blandings hasn't been sorted by the day before tx I'll delete the reservation and remake it.

Accurate Recording, allegedly. The degree of accuracy often leaves a lot to be desired (it certainly did on the 9200 anyway, which was notoriously inaccurate).

49 pages of hits from search for (quoted) Accurate Recording on AVForums.

20 pages of hits from search for (quoted) Accurate Recording on Digital Spy.

Not all hits were from Humax-specific threads.

See also: http://www.which.co.uk/technology/t...your-digital-tv-recorder/recording-made-easy/

under Freeview+ section. Hence, I posit, common usage in Freeview+.

Could try looking for "AR" but I suspect that would raise a large number of false alarms.

Like many abbreviations it comprises the leading letters of the words. And like all abbreviations and words it is "made up".

Martin

49 pages of hits from search for (quoted) Accurate Recording on AVForums.

Could try looking for "AR" but I suspect that would raise a large number of false alarms.

Like many abbreviations it comprises the leading letters of the words. And like all abbreviations and words it is "made up".

Martin

But making up or using an abbreviation where there is no way of finding what it means is just silly! Plus, if I had known to search for Accurate Recording as the meaning of AR, I would not have needed to search, would I? As for Black Hole's idea of looking in his pages, how would we know to do that?

Yet another DUA! I notice in my defence that you only used AR twice in your post, so it was TU. Plus the Which? article never used AR, it used Accurate Recording!

I'm sorry if I created a furore. When I come across an abbreviation(s) I do not know and it is so important for my understanding that it needs to be resolved then I look for an associated word(s) in the context and access any applicable reference information source. I am sorry if my expectations that others do the same is misplaced.

A search of that with "AR" on this site would have revealed much. A search for " AR " (spaces to ensure selectivity) on AVForums PVR Sub-Forum would have revealed 36 pages of links dating back to 2007.

You asked if it was an abbreviation used on other sites - the answer is yes.

You asked the question "What is AR? Is that the same as series link?" The correct answer to this is "No". BH tried to help you more by linking to his very good reference information for those interested in these matters.

If I had access to a reference source then I would look up "DUA" and "TU" but I cannot work out the associated context. I could guess that "DUA" meant something like "Da**ed Useless Abbreviation" and that is clearly a TLA. "TU" could mean "Totally Useless" or "Twice-Used". Could you please direct me to a reference source.

Your abbreviations are slmost as good as the romantic SWALK, the anticipitory NORWICH and the heartfelt ROMFT.

Now if I only knew what "LOL" meant. :)

Martin

We've used "AR" to mean Accurate Recording from the year dot, I didn't make it up personally, and I find it hard to believe it would not be fairly universal. "Padding" is also a made-up term if you want to put it like that, all jargon terms are coined to express some new concept which has to be understood somehow.

I have also supplied a Glossary (click), which is also on the Wiki, available for anybody unsure of the terms being used. The reference material is available as footnote links in all of my posts, but for some reason I am having difficulty understanding some readers just don't think they should need to look anything up.

Doesn't the title "Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know" mean anything to you?

Now if I only knew what "LOL" meant. :)
That's in the Glossary too, under "Netiquette".

Doesn't the title "Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know" mean anything to you?

Yes, and it includes accurate recording but not the totally redundant AR.

I am surprised that you don't get irritated yourself by abbreviations that are only used a couple of times. AY? CYSHLII?

The Australians have another name for Accurate Recording. See : http://www.freeview.com.au/faq/glossary.aspx?glossaryId=20

"Intuitive Recording" (let's say IR ?) seems a little too OTT for what happens. I note the explanation goes on to say:

"The CRID system contained within the Freeview EPG is far superior because it ensures the accurate recording of TV shows and means that you will never miss the end of a recorded show again."

No comments please, they are a young nation (and I had a great time out there).

Ok one, they obviously have the 9200 which has no problems with the end, just the beginning. :)

TTFN

Martin

"Intuitive Recording" (let's say IR ?) seems a little too OTT for what happens.

ROFL. Nice one!:p

I would have struggled even more with that one, but inaccurate recording now springs to mind.

There used to be a journalistic tradition of using the full name before using any abbreviation for it. Accurate Recording (AR) would appear as in this sentence, followed by an article that never once used that abbreviation again, nor the full term! :mad:

LOL!

In my technical publications department we had a convention of the above for the first mention and then the abbreviation thereafter (though obviously not if it was never used again in that section of the document). Personally I prefer (if more than one instance) to use the abbreviation straight away, with the definition in brackets or a footnote/glossary: "AR (accurate recording)..."

Getting back to the thread topic. My HD Fox has sorted itself out and the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) now shows Blandings for BBC1HD and is now scheduled to record tomorrow.

My Tvonics also has Blandings in the EPG but has not scheduled it, probably because I also scheduled it to record on BBC1. A topic for the Tvonics forum.

Martin

Getting back to the thread topic. My HD Fox has sorted itself out and the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) now shows Blandings for BBC1HD and is now scheduled to record tomorrow.

Ditto.
I did check it occasionally during the week and the 'This is BBC ..." chunk was still there on Thursday I think, but was showing the 'correct' schedule by Friday evening. An epg programming glitch I suppose.

Happening again this week. Must be the same person putting the data into the EPG.

Martin

Yep.
Or could be the same buggy computer program which a human sorts out later in the week.

I wonder if it is a precursor to them getting the regional news onto the HD channel.

Back