BBC HD and DRM

framedtoo

should the BBC use drm on any of their broadcasts and is it a waste of money inplementing it

BBC iplayer uses drm, and a quick seach on the internet, and you'll find away round it.

any transmitted BBC service that you can watch/save will more then likely mean you have paid for the privilage.

but i may want to watch a programme on my pc that i perviously recorded on a hdr, if i have a licence i should not be limited to the device i recorded it on, and should be able to watch it on any device i have.

It's not really all down to the BBC. In many cases the drm rightsare insisted on by the programme makers who insist on some form of copy protection. Interestingly for some reason BBC1-HD is currently not encrypted on satellite but BBC-HD is (even if it's the same programme)

the trouble is, unlike iplayer, anything recorded on your hdr could be on there for a long time. and if you wanted to watch it on another device, you would look for ways round the DRM.

in a way DRM encourages piricy.

the trouble is, unlike iplayer, anything recorded on your hdr could be on there for a long time. and if you wanted to watch it on another device, you would look for ways round the DRM.

in a way DRM encourages piricy.

As the encryption uses a key unique to the box there's little chance of this and in any case it's not needed. By switching the Foxsat-hdr into a generic free to air box (non-freesat) it wil record any free to air content you can point a dish at without encryption. Just like any other generic fta HD sat pvr

you've ans part of the original post, is it a waste of money.

there is already a way round drm, at least on foxsat.

i believe (i may be wrong) that the BBC's drm is apples, which they will want paying for.

so the BBC and therefore us, are paying for something that doesn't work, at least in part.

when you say programme makers, i take it you mean non BBC

In terms of cost it's the other way round, if say the BBC buys the transmission rights for a film in HD, the copyright owners will charge a fee based on the potential audience. They also insist on it being delivered in HD over a copy protected hdmi/hdcp digital connection. Especially on satellite this means that viewing should be restricted to UK license payers and that copying in the full digital quality is not easily possible. You should be happy that non premium SD content can be copied, in law (it's a grey area) you can legally keep a copy for a limited period until you have seen it. Reproducing it or archiving for ever is strictly speaking not allowed. Buying a BBC licence merely means that you are allowed to watch the live transmissions, you don't need one for purely vod services.

they may insist on it, but if all freeview channels refused ( within the uk), i doubt that providers would stop suppling their content at reasonable prices ,money is money.

due to the increase in pvr's, it would imposible to police how long content is kept on there.

they may insist on it, but if all freeview channels refused ( within the uk), i doubt that providers would stop suppling their content at reasonable prices ,money is money.
It would depend upon the programme and who blinked first, popular programmes could easily insist on it in the knowledge that they have a world wide distribution to protect and the UK is only a small part, also one freeview channel would break ranks as by encrypting it could grab all the good programmes dealing a serious blow to their rivals.

Back