BBC Iplayer Problems

Stuart Thompson

For the last few days the BBC Iplayer app on my 2000T won't load: it stays stuck on the 'loading' page. I've made no changes to any settings that I'm aware of. BBC News and BBC Sport apps work fine (as do other non-BBC apps).

Is anyone else having similar problems? Any suggestions to fix?

(I've asked the same question asked on myhumax.org, but I can't post the link as I haven't posted ten times here!)

thanks

Stuart

Last edited:
To start with the obvious, have you turned it off and on again? (That means right down to turning the mains off to it for 30 seconds or more, not just into standby.)

To start with the obvious, have you turned it off and on again? (That means right down to turning the mains off to it for 30 seconds or more, not just into standby.)

I have disconnected from the mains a few times, though possibly not for as long as 30 secs. I will try that tomorrow and report back.

What version of software is your HDR-2000T running? At some point, support for iPlayer is being/ has been withdrawn for versions pre 1.01.18.

I have a 2000T with same version of software (1.01.18) . I rarely use the iPlayer on it as I have to route the internet through my laptop and to an internet dongle (metered and expensive!). However, I gave it a try and no similar problems.

The only other suggestion I can come up with is to use the hidden menu to delete cookies and DRM data -can't see this helping but...
From the remote ... menu/settings/system/system information then press red green yellow blue green yellow blue (ignore the no-waiting style icon that pops up) then goto reset cookie and drm data.
The only other thoughts are that you could go into the internet settings and check all the values are correct, switch the ftp and content share on and off (or off and on).
All other ideas would be off the Humax, and would depend on how you contact the internet. Is your router blocking the connection to the iPlayer? Is your ISP blocking it for some reason?
The confusion (for me at least) is why BBC News works for you but the iPlayer does not. I would have thought they would use the same player???

Have you contacted Humax? I know their support isn't highly rated but you never know. I believe these functions are in part handled through their servers, so they might have an answer to why - even if no solution.

I have a 2000T with same version of software (1.01.18) . I rarely use the iPlayer on it as I have to route the internet through my laptop and to an internet dongle (metered and expensive!). However, I gave it a try and no similar problems.

The only other suggestion I can come up with is to use the hidden menu to delete cookies and DRM data -can't see this helping but...
From the remote ... menu/settings/system/system information then press red green yellow blue green yellow blue (ignore the no-waiting style icon that pops up) then goto reset cookie and drm data.
The only other thoughts are that you could go into the internet settings and check all the values are correct, switch the ftp and content share on and off (or off and on).
All other ideas would be off the Humax, and would depend on how you contact the internet. Is your router blocking the connection to the iPlayer? Is your ISP blocking it for some reason?
The confusion (for me at least) is why BBC News works for you but the iPlayer does not. I would have thought they would use the same player???

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried both deleting cookies/DRM and switched ftp and content share on, but it's still the same. I can't imagine that my router's blocking anything ... it used to work up until a week or so ago, and I haven't changed anything. BBC Iplayer's working on my laptop using the same internet connection. Also if it was a router thing, surely BBC News and Sport would be blocked too (as you point out). It's very confusing!

Have you contacted Humax? I know their support isn't highly rated but you never know. I believe these functions are in part handled through their servers, so they might have an answer to why - even if no solution.

I haven't, but I think that will be my next move. I'm worried they'll just suggest doing a factory reset, which I don't want to do as I've got a HDD 70% full of programmes and films to watch!

What is more confusing is that with the same version of the software I don't have a problem.
The only thing that is likely to be different in my setting is that I have manually configured the IP address of the Humax, and use Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8). Again, can't see this making much difference.
Just because something used to work doesn't mean it hasn't got its' underwear in a tangle and wouldn't benefit from a reset.
You could try factory reset of the Humax - shouldn't erase programmes, but you will have to search for channels, reset timers, preferences etc.
I tempted to suggest you reset your router as well, but as I have no knowledge of routers it may be better to listen to someone better informed!

Router problems don't appear likely if the other things are working. Humax operate an authentication system through their servers, so the likely thing is that is borked for this particular unit - although whether that is at the user end or the server end is a moot point. All the user can do is a factory reset, and if you contacted Humax that is what they would automatically tell you to do (no need to be scared of it - it does mean setting everything up again but recordings are safe as long as you don't agree to a disk reformat).

If the iPlayer app still isn't working after several days and when others report it is working for them on the same unit, and after a factory reset, the only option left is to contact Humax and see if there is something they can reset at their end.

Router problems don't appear likely if the other things are working.
I would tend to agree. But to quote Spock misquoting Arthur Conan Doyle: "... if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the solution."

Humax did indeed suggest a factory reset ... and it worked! (it still reboots about 1 time in 3 after pressing the TV Portal button though....)

Thanks all for your input and help.

Back