BBC iPlayer Radio Side Portal Issues ?

No, I can't get any iPlayer radio to work either. I'm not sure how long this has been a problem, I'm certain I have had it running on these firmware revisions in the past (even captured stuff on my 1.02.20 HDR). What seems to happen is it just sits there "Loading" with no way out except a reboot, until after many minutes it drops itself back to the programme page.
Ditto confirmed on HDR-FOX/1.02.20 (although my test returned to the menus much more quickly than did the HD-FOX/1.02.28 - may be connected to the original length of the programme?).

Ditto confirmed on HDR-FOX/1.02.20 (although my test returned to the menus much more quickly than did the HD-FOX/1.02.28 - may be connected to the original length of the programme?).

I take to mean that it's still not working since that's the case on the original receiver as per Saturday. I was sort of expecting the BBC to sort it out come Monday when everyone was back at work again.

Linux is not a programming/operating language. Linux refers to the kernel as originally developed (and still overseen) by Linus Torvalds. Much of the rest of a Linux system comes from GNU Open Software project. You can write software to run on a Linux box in a vast choice of languages.

I really do struggle to understand your posts even though I suspect we are from the same era.

He was told from the outset that it would be difficult but you achieve nothing if you don't at least try. I think he has clearly identified the major stumbling block but it will take a conceptual breakthrough to make progress rather than offers of man hours.

I could reply to this :).

Ah well I gave up taking much interest in computing after whenever. I note Black Hole has been a bit mischievous on a few occasions knowing full well that the heart of the Humax software is a black box which he subsequently described after I moved onto the topic of the open nature of the software, presumably the hooks which the custom software hook onto as explained but don't touch the undocumented black box. So where above that he talks about machine programming he knows full well that this is beyond anyone unless they work at Humax and have access to the software that underpins the black box. Hence the issue on porting the HDR software to the HD as explained by MontysEvilTwin.

Often when the custom software doesn't work there is barking about this or that when actually it doesn't work which was the case with the hitting return rather than the save button on saving the stream, but no it wasn't accepted that there was a programming bug until I got af123 to agree with me after he tested it. There are a few characters on the board that front up elements and play games whilst others actually seem to get on with things. You could say this is a perception issue but explaining in an evidence based way, until the evidence is deleted.

On the last one that's the guy who offered to port other players onto 1.03.xx. I don't believe this will happen until someone picks up the code from elsewhere and uses it, which was the case with the Sky Player code which presume was taken in it's beta form and packaged up. That's why I was asking about the development of other Humax boxes since if they support other player ports and it's the same browser as used in 1.03.xx then we would be in business. But then I accept that Youview has strangled so it would appear the development of Freeview plus boxes. The saving grace is that there is not that much that you would want to watch on anything other the BBC except C4 - least for me. When at home I have my cable box if I have a dire need :).

Thanks Luke, I hope Mr Black Hole noted that the phone went up with a puff of smoke which was the symbolic queue for the music in the 60 / 70s film. Providing evidenced based approach that you were wrong in this case - LOL. You could say there was a tape in the phone but into today's world it would be a chip. Hence Hollywood's presentation.

Internet is really good as we know and someone has gone through all 168 episodes of the original TV series and identified for each how the message was destroyed. Not all were tapes in the original, take for example #5.

http://www.mjq.net/mitapes.htm

The simile was good in that it's a pretty impossible mission and the seeds for sowing it get disguise.

I note Black Hole has been a bit mischievous on a few occasions knowing full well that the heart of the Humax software is a black box ... he knows full well that this is beyond anyone unless they work at Humax and have access to the software that underpins the black box.

That isn't true. The ability to load custom firmware onto the freeview and freesat boxes was made possible by analysis of the machine code that is the boot loader. Several custom firmware extensions similarly required working with machine code, as Black Hole stated:

... we only have access to the compiled output (ie machine code) ... some progress has been made in its analysis resulting in such things as ir...

In general though, this type of extension requires a significant amount of effort and there are only a handful of them. Most custom firmware components run alongside the Humax software although they still need to work with it requiring some analysis.

Is that not the boot loader rather than the actual software. I can see that if you scanned the machine code you would be able to detect differences between releases and use of ports etc. There is also an international dimension to this where other enthuasts have worked with their country boxes.

I am not belittling the much work that has been done which obviously is really useful but more the bones that were thrown out to the guy that wanted to add additional players and he still seems to need help from that thread. Perhaps there is nobody who can help him. I need to loose another 40 years for that.

Likewise, or thirty years anyway.

However, to achieve what af123 (and one or two others) has achieved required a lot more than analysis of the boot loader or scanning machine code for ports. If I recall, all this started when you suggested it should be straight forward to modify the standard HDR-FOX firmware to achieve more functionality on an HD-FOX in HDR Mode. Still think so? The key is for somebody with the skills to also have the need - and the only people with a need are those with only an HD-FOX.

No it started when I suggested that the HDR porting under went a process to get it on the HD box and that process needed a bit more work. It was clear to me that it wasn't an accident that it ran on the HD box. I know I could attempt to look at that process. It was MartinsEvilTwin if I have got the name right pointed that there had indeed been attempts to get the recording side working but there was an issue in how it saw the drive attached, PCI or USB. It was you who suggested that I could take it on myself which obviously I can't. I realised that the people who were porting it did it for other reasons than recording although it's very irritating no being able to record with it if it's the only box available.

Obviously if at a machine level it expects to see a PCI drive it won't be possible - cue another Linux lesson.

This was an aside to the thread. I am still unable to play iplayer radio on the 1.02.29 HD software. Is this still indeed a technical issue and my swapping back and forth into HDR mode hasn't messed it up. I know my grouse that I'm having to use the HDR software to get the radio iplayer but can't leave it to record any over the air stuff.

Thanks in advance with loving appreciation.

I am not belittling the much work that has been done which obviously is really useful but more the bones that were thrown out to the guy that wanted to add additional players and he still seems to need help from that thread. Perhaps there is nobody who can help him. I need to loose another 40 years for that.
I really don't think anybody is holding back on supplying info. to other users so they can add new features to the CFW, why would they?, If someone has the ability / knowledge to add a feature but doesn't have the time / inclination to work on it, what better way to get it done than to help someone who has is offering their time?. It's not as if there is any financial reason to hold back

I am still unable to play iplayer radio on the 1.02.29 HD software. Is this still indeed a technical issue and my swapping back and forth into HDR mode hasn't messed it up.
Yes it is still an issue.

There is still nothing on http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/programme_latest_issues about it.
I have made a report to the iPlayer team via the iPlayer site, but they may not have had enogh reports to look into it, or I may have used the wrong reporting tool.

Unlike the issues of a fortnight ago, when I could find reports of non-Humax devices having an iPlayer Radio issue, I can't find any non-Humax device having this week's issue.

Back