BBC recordings cutting off

jack616

The main reason I wanted a second humax box (in the other threads) is because I have been experiencing a hard issue
with recordings. I havn't seen it mentioned here but I'll record it in case the info helps or someone has any ideas.
Also I had green screen issues at that time.

I first noticed the issue when I recorded Dr.Who for the kids at xmas. Just as the doctor was about to undergo
his rejuvination scene the recording stopped. The kids missed the scene. So I said "bugger" and programmed
the repeat showing whenever it was - about a week later I think. And that cut off at the same point. I said "curioser and curiouser"

We are now in February and the issue continues - as far as I can tell only on BBC channels. The padding at the start
of the recording seems to work but no matter what length padding I put at the end - the programs finish a minute or so before the end. Top gear this week for example - just as they reached "reactor No: 4" the recording stopped despite
a 5 minute end padding setting. This is happening on most but not all BBC programs.

So I did the obvious - e2fsck - reloaded firmware etc. To no avail.
Then I ordered the second (what I'm calling "new") box.
This had all the problems mentioned in the other threads but also this recording issue - (Top gear was recorded on the new box)

The "old" box had CF 2.0 on it by xmas. Hence my concerns as I had not had that issue before with the previous f/w.
The "new" box came with 1.03.11 which I later added CF to - this is where it started happening on that box but because
of all the other issues I can't be certain it is cf related - I may have become confused by then.
The "old" box is the old hardware type - the "new" box is the new hardware type.
I also note that xmas is about the time the new BBC HD channels started

This is a regular issue that seems to happen with higher profile movies and shows but not with
the more mundane stuff.
I have looked at the start and stop times and the lengths do not reflect the padding I have set on the box
but do tend to reflect the start padding plus program run time. i.e. end padding is ignored and recording stops
based on period rather than time of broadcast.
Due to the faults on the new box I havnt had time to investigate further - I had alloted last week to do that but ...

I am wondering if there is anything else I can check (FYI I have never installed AR padding mods as I have never needed it)
Also has anyone else seen anything similar?
Are the BBC perhaps sending a shut off signal or incorrect info with their broadcasts?

comments welcome

If you are using Padding on your Humax, then Accurate Recording has been disabled by it, so any AR start or stop signals the BBC might be sending won't be affecting your recording times. Is the clock on your Humax correct? does the screensaver show the correct time?

I first noticed the issue when I recorded Dr.Who for the kids at xmas. Just as the doctor was about to undergo
his rejuvination scene the recording stopped. The kids missed the scene. So I said "bugger" and programmed
the repeat showing whenever it was - about a week later I think. And that cut off at the same point. I said "curioser and curiouser"...
This does not echo my experience at all. For information about issues with AR and auto-padding, see Things Every... (click) section 3.

The most likely cause of programmes being cut off early is that you have unwittingly converted them to manual (see notes in Things Every...).

It is not clear whether the Humax uses the broadcast time code or the internal clock to supervise padding recordings, it certainly uses the internal clock for manual timer recordings. The internal clock resyncs to broadcast time if it exceeds one minute error either way.

Yes the clock seems correct.
I will have a read of the pages listed and see if anything rings a bell
Thanks for the suggestions.

If all else fails, run a restore factory defaults (Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default). This will require you to set up the tuning and recording schedule again, and the other various user settings, but it won't affect existing recordings (or the CF if it is installed, and the CF can restore your schedule afterwards), and it has been known to cure peculiar behaviour.

No-one else seems to have mentioned the obvious questions.

Did you have anything scheduled to record straight after these BBC shows (probably on another channel)?
Do you have the catch-up buffer enabled (there is a CF package to disable it)?
EDIT Not a package, its the disable_tsr diagnostic

If you have two recordings for 8-9 and two recordings for 9-10, you will get start padding on the first two and end padding on the second two.
I'm not sure if the catch-up buffer counts as another possible recording.

The TSR buffer is irrelevant. Aspects of recording priority are coverered in my Things Every... reference (by following a link within) - in general the end of one programme takes priority over the beginning of another.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
I have taken into account the notion of following recordings jxp but it is a good point to remember.
I think the most likely cause is the one alluded to by BH 's suggested reading - in that maybe I have unconsciously changed
my button pressing habits and started pressing OK instead of exit in the schedule causing the padding to be lost.
I wasnt aware that even happened - however it doesnt explain why the start padding is still in place.

It is though - such a close explanation that it is the most likely so I will try and consciously watch what I'm doing
and see if it still happens. Strange that no one else has had this though.

I'm sure it was covered above.... But if you have two other recordings running after the program and the programme was running late then it will chop the end or / and the next programme is to be recorded then the end is on that. Obviously if you have deleted that then you have lost it.

You always have the iPlayer and the custom software to make good any BBC recording issues if you spot them within the 7 days. I don't generally have a problem with padding except where I'm recording something after. I know it can be a heated subject.

Back