BBC3 or BBC4 won't record after re-tune

parish

Mendip transmitter.

Since doing the necessary re-tune on 3rd Sept my Hummy won't record BBC3 & BBC4 - neither SD or HD - on timer, but if I hit Record whilst watching the channel then it records OK.

Worked fine before the re-tune.

The error is "The channel is scrambled or not available"

Software version 1.03.12

Any ideas?

Take a look at this thread here. By not record, do you mean that it fails to instigate a recording or that it records but the recording plays back scrambled? If the latter, if you have the custom firmware installed and run the 'fixencflags' diagnostic it may well fix the scrambled recordings.

It records for the full duration but on playback just displays the scrambled error.

I've seen the thread you linked to but that seemed to be related to the custom firmware but I'm running the standard 1.03.12

I don't think that the problem is caused by the custom firmware, but it provides a fix. The hmt file has a flag incorrectly set.

Your fault is unusual in that it is consistent. I have had it once or twice, but not all the time on a particular channel or channels. If you are set up to use ftp, you could copy a couple of hmt files from faulty recordings (preferably both from a standard def and a high def recording) and post them here for checking.

.hmt files attached - one each of SD and HD. 0906 is HD

Attachments

• Crimes of Passion_20140906_2100.hmt
    13.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Crimes of Passion_20140913_2100.hmt
    12.9 KB · Views: 5
Here's some info from your HMT files:
Code:
Three# cd /media/"My Video"
Three# hmt "Crimes of Passion_20140906_2100.hmt"
Format:HD
Title:Crimes of Passion
ITitle:Crimes of Passion
Channel:106 (BBC FOUR HD)
Folder:/mnt/hd2/My Video/Crimes of Passion/
Filename:
Genre:Drama (240)
EPG:2/6. King Lily of the Valley: A bride-to-be enters a flower shop to inspect
her bouquet, but vanishes without a trace. In Swedish with English subtitles. Co
ntains moderate violence. [HD] [S]
Guidance:Contains scenes of moderate violence.

Flags: HD,Limited Copies,Encrypted,Guidance,

Three# hmt "Crimes of Passion_20140913_2100.hmt"
Format:SD
Title:Crimes of Passion
ITitle:i7Crimes of Passion
Channel:9 (BBC FOUR)
Folder:/mnt/hd2/My Video/Crimes of Passion/
Filename:
Genre:Drama (240)
EPG:3/6. No More Murders: Swedish crime drama. Puck and Einar's idyllic holiday
is shattered when Einar finds a dead body. In Swedish with English subtitles. Co
ntains adult themes. Also in HD. [S]
Guidance:Contains adult themes.

Flags: SD,Unlimited Copies,Guidance,
It is the flags that are interesting. As you have not decrypted the files, they should both have an 'ODEncrypted' flag in the HMT. They don't and that is why they are scrambled on playback.

I have put the 'ODencrypted' flag back I these files. If you copy them back to your Hummy in place of the original files the programmes should now play.

Attachments

• Crimes of Passion_20140906_2100.hmt
    13.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Crimes of Passion_20140913_2100.hmt
    12.9 KB · Views: 2
Thanks, that's fixed it :)

But why does it only seem to be these two channels that the Hummy messes the flags up on?

Would decrypting the recordings also fix the problem?

Can't decrypt them unless the flags are correct. In some situations an attempted decryption would render them useless.

It doesn't only affect those channels, I have had the problem on Quest. Because of the incorrect flag, the files won't decrypt without fixing the flag first. Your best bet is to install the custom firmware. If you have the problem again you can run the 'fixencflags' diagnostic and this will fix any problem recordings.

Can't decrypt them unless the flags are correct. In some situations an attempted decryption would render them useless.
To add to this, if you do install custom firmware and decide to set up your programmes for automatic decryption, install the 'undelete' package. Then you can always retrieve the original recording if you have any problems.

So, it's a random bug in the Hummy s/w and there's no fix? Would another re-tune make any difference ?

It's a random bug yes. A retune seems to be what causes it for the first few recordings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't only affect those channels, I have had the problem on Quest. Because of the incorrect flag, the files won't decrypt without fixing the flag first. Your best bet is to install the custom firmware. If you have the problem again you can run the 'fixencflags' diagnostic and this will fix any problem recordings.

Did your recording on Quest have on-screen subtitles?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Did your recording on Quest have on-screen subtitles?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
I think there were optional subtitles that could be selected using the remote. Edit. From other episodes it is likely that there was no subtitle track.

Last edited:
I think there were optional subtitles that could be selected using the remote.

It is just that subtitles is about the only unique thing about the OP's recordings and I had the same problem with the same programme last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The subtitles in those foreign language dramas are part of the video file and can't be turned off. I also recorded 'Crimes of Passion' and it has an audio description track which can be turned on and off with the subtitle button. The programme I had a problem with on Quest did not have a subtitle track, if other episodes are anything to go by :confused:

Back