Been Getting some Broken recordings recently

David White

My HDR Fox-T2 normally behaves very well but over the last couple of weeks I have had a number of broken recordings (dark box with lightening bolt) at 12kb in size. For example I tried to record the new episode of All Creatures Great and Small on Channel 5 this week. I got a broken recording. I checked various logs and found nothing in the crash log but the following in web-if error log "/mod/webif/html/browse/ffmpeg.jim:9: Error: /media/My Video/New_ All Creatures Great and Small/New_ All Creatures Great and Small_20231005_2100.hmt: Invalid data found when processing input"

I had programmed the recording by the web interface. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong and what I can do to fix it? Thanks

My HDR Fox-T2 normally behaves very well but over the last couple of weeks I have had a number of broken recordings (dark box with lightening bolt) at 12kb in size.
What's the common factor?
the following in web-if error log "/mod/webif/html/browse/ffmpeg.jim:9: Error: /media/My Video/New_ All Creatures Great and Small/New_ All Creatures Great and Small_20231005_2100.hmt: Invalid data found when processing input"
That's because you clicked on the .hmt file resulting from the non-recording in the file browser. I've put a fix for that daftness into the next WebIf version.

If you go into the standard interface and try to play the recording for the first time, there will usually be a pop-up saying the cause of the "lightning strike" icon. That information will help.

Typically failures are failed to track, loss of signal, loss of power, and I guess lack of disk space might also result in failure (and a consistent series of failures at that).

It would be nice if the webif actually showed the failure code (and other recording info) when there is a stand alone hmt file

Simplest would be just to display the hmt command output under Info rather than trying to fix the ts jim class up enough to allow use of the normal recording display box

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help, especially, Black Hole. I used the standard interface and found the error message. A couple were for a conflict on a higher priority recording but what caught me most recently was a disk full error. This really surprised me as I usually keep my disk half full but when I checked I found I recently had a runaway 250GB. recording that had gobbled up all the remaining disk space.

Prpr, what is the .hmt file? I used the EPG, clicked on the program and got the pop up window and clicked record series and it showed up in the recording schedule.

Thanks for all your really useful assistance.

Thanks for all your help, especially, Black Hole. I used the standard interface and found the error message. A couple were for a conflict on a higher priority recording but what caught me most recently was a disk full error. This really surprised me as I usually keep my disk half full but when I checked I found I recently had a runaway 250GB. recording that had gobbled up all the remaining disk space.
That's why I won't use the real time package

when I checked I found I recently had a runaway 250GB. recording that had gobbled up all the remaining disk space.
It only happens once in a blue moon, but when it does we need to know why:

The procedure for gathering diagnostic information, before cancelling the runaway recording:
  1. WebIF >> Scheduled Events. Look down the recordings list to find the item in question, and note the "slot number" shown in the second column.

2. Open a command terminal (Telnet or WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line) and input the following commands:
    nugget tuners.dump
    nugget recordings
    nugget schedule.timers
    nugget schedule.entry <slot>
    nugget schedule.epg <slot>
    (where <slot> is the "slot number" identified in step 1).

It would be nice if the webif actually showed the failure code (and other recording info) when there is a stand alone hmt file
There's an update to the WebIf (1.5.2-3) in Beta that attempts to fix all this stuff. If you or anyone else could give it a whirl to make sure I haven't broken anything with the info. display and the Play/Download buttons under all conditions with all file-types, then that would be appreciated.
Simplest would be just to display the hmt command output under Info rather than trying to fix the ts jim class up enough to allow use of the normal recording display box
Simplest but making it more naff. So no, I fixed it properly in the class.
This might come in useful in the "auto-expiring lone .hmt files" bug too, but I haven't got that far yet.

There's an update to the WebIf (1.5.2-3) in Beta that attempts to fix all this stuff. If you or anyone else could give it a whirl to make sure I haven't broken anything with the info. display and the Play/Download buttons under all conditions with all file-types, then that would be appreciated.

Simplest but making it more naff. So no, I fixed it properly in the class.
This might come in useful in the "auto-expiring lone .hmt files" bug too, but I haven't got that far yet.
Looks good to me

Back