Beeping Box

IReallocated sector count is up to 1323 today, so looks like the drive is on its way out.
I agree with that diagnosis. When our drive got to stage where it was reallocating 50 sectors a day it was getting quite unpleasant to use with the sector reallocations producing glitches in playback quite frequently.

Without the 'Fan' package the fan will not start from cold until the temperature of the hard disk reaches 55 Deg C, the full pattern is as follows :-

When the temperature rises to 55 degrees, on-interval is set to 176 of 255
when it falls to 54, on-interval becomes 162 of 255
when it falls to 51, on-interval becomes 138 of 255
when it falls to 49, on-interval becomes 0 of 255 (fan turns off again).

When the 'Fan' package is installed if only replaces what happens during the normal 0 (or Off) stage, the other 3 states will still happen as before

Ok thanks, turned off my external fan last night and watched the HD Temp rise, when it got to 48C the noise started. Turned on my external fan again and after about 5mins it stopped the noise. Interesting the HD temp graph stopped recording at 48C and didn't record again until it cooled to 45C, during this period it didn't record the temperature, the graph is just empty like its off.

Another question formatted the drive is it normal to see used size 20Gb, reserved size 114GB or is this because of my drive problems? I haven't recorded anything at this point. using standard firmware now.

Interesting the HD temp graph stopped recording at 48C and didn't record again until it cooled to 45C, during this period it didn't record the temperature, the graph is just empty like its off.
That is interesting; could it be that the temperature sensor in the hard drive is failing? If you use the web interface and select Diagnostics and then Hard Drive what is the temperature reported as whilst bleeping?
Another question formatted the drive is it normal to see used size 20Gb, reserved size 114GB or is this because of my drive problems?
Yes I think that is fairly typical.

Bazza1024 : I've now got a old PC fan sat behind blowing air through the stationary internal fan
While you are using the external fan, it's worth checking which way the air is flowing, it should be flowing out of the 'fan hole' rather into it

It does sound like the hard disk temperature sensor is reporting incorrectly, although it has reported 58 Deg C in the past which is what you would expect with normal fan cycling

Back