Belling-Lee connectors

I can see that these may make a better job on the braid side of things, but what do you do with the centre core? Still looks like a BL type hollow tube for the centre core. Solder? Is the plastic less 'meltable' than in the standard BL plug.

Regardless of the technicalities, I can't quite get my head around how the splitter is relevant in this thread. (other irrelevant posts excepted).
Just as a reminder from three pages ago.
I was trying to change the subject, to stop you lot from :duel:

I was trying to change the subject, to stop you lot from :duel:
Why would you want to? A good open conversation about the why's and wherefore's of BL plugs as a possible source of problems seems to provoke deep thought on all and sundry on the subject.

Why would you want to? A good open conversation about the why's and wherefore's of BL plugs as a possible source of problems seems to provoke deep thought on all and sundry on the subject.
But we already did this discussion to death!

Depends on the cable connector, maybe not the horrid white plastic ones.

A "socket" can be tightened by squeezing the centre contact - it is usually split. A "plug" can be tightened by splaying out the outer cylinder (again, often split on the all-metal versions), and sometimes the inner contact.

When I assemble connectors, I kink the core wire that goes down the centre contact so that it makes good contact to the tube.

I can see that these may make a better job on the braid side of things, but what do you do with the centre core? Still looks like a BL type hollow tube for the centre core. Solder? Is the plastic less 'meltable' than in the standard BL plug.

I know I'm in a very good signal area but I don't bother doing anything with these other than screwing then on. I think they would be ok to solder.
231af7c89fbd2d1f0f62147421997885.jpg

But why would you have a plug set in concrete?:eek:
I'd solder that and knowing what a meticulous person BH is, I'm surprised that he makes do with the kinky method of near connection.:)

Served me fine for 50 years - and I have dozens of these connections in my current house, one cable run has maybe six or eight of them in it. Nothing will persuade me that soldering is necessary or desirable (unless you need a DC path).

Last edited:
I must say, I have occasionally soldered these but usually I just put a few kinks in the core, with snipe-nosed pliers, to make it a nice snug fit. AFAIK I've never had a problem that was due to that connection. I think I once had a problem that was due to a poor fit between the outer/shield parts of a plug and socket.

Last edited:
...and, being af123, he's inseted a UHF feed into it (or maybe it's 10base2 for the Internet-enabled coffee grinder).

Last edited:
The most common fault caused by un-soldered belling lee connectors is issues with Sky Magic Eye setups which provide 9V DC power to power the eyes or where external power is used to power remote amplifiers. The rf gets through due to capacitive coupling but not the DC. The other major problem is the plug and sockets lose tension and they simply fall out.

For completeness, here's the other end of the screw-on connector, this time placed on my garden table : )

upload_2017-6-26_22-56-57.png

Back