Belmont - Issues today or just us?

ian_j

Some channels not showing today so decided to do a retune.

Channel 25 (retune menu) DVB-T is showing only 48% strength & 40% quality, a massive drop from it's usual 73% strength and 100% quality.

Channel 28 DVB-T2 isn't showing any signal or quality, both at 0%

Is there anyone can do a quick check to see if their signals have dropped too.

What did you expect to achieve by doing that?
Presumably the box was tuned correctly beforehand?

Yes it was and I just thought as we hadn't retuned in awhile it might be advisable.

It's not like it costs anything other than a few minutes of my time.

And another few mins when the signal comes back and you still can't get the missing channels because the retune has totally ignored the missing mpx(s). A retune for missing channels after they have been working OK is the last thing to try and definitely not 'advisable', although misplaced intuition indicates otherwise.

I confirmed that the channels were/are being received by the TV connected via the pass-thru though.

I can't check the HD channels though as the TV only has SD Freeview.

These are the readings from today and the previous retune, the quality reading is from today:

2016 11 22 - Humax Signal.png

Did you check HERE? One of the first places to call if loss of signal. No doubt someone will suggest others.

I did & it only had info relating to a past issue.

A search of Google news showed that people in hull on Belmont are having issues but the bbc has said it is down to the weather.

Just checked channel 30 on HDR Fox T2 and it was 40% signal strength & 10% quality, no channels could be found when a manual search is done.

Dug out or old Humax 9200 to try that and channel 30 is giving 52% & 100%, a scan brought up a number of channels.

If there is nothing wrong with Belmont, there must be something wrong with your aerial system. Have the recent high winds done your aerial direction a mischief? Water ingress into the coax? That's the most likely problem and retuning will not fix it but will likely just lose the channels that you have already got tuned.

Last edited:
Weird that the 9200 gets channels that HDR doesn't, I presume the HDR is a bit deaf.

Looking at the aerial from the ground it looks fine (no missing parts) but I can't really tell if it has rotated, looks to be pointing in the same direction. Probably is weather damage we do get bad winds here and with the persistent rain recently can't have done the aerial any good, it's on a long pole on the gable end to get above a hill.

Looks like I better call in someone to look at the aerial.

Whilst they are at it, get them to check the coax. If it's the air spaced stuff, get it replaced with foam filled. WF100 is allegedly the best. Water can, and has, run down the air spacing of the coax and destroyed tuners.

Will do, I'd hate to lose the HDR.

Bloody annoying as this is the 2nd aerial we've had since living here and both times we've gone for what we though was a good quality aerial & installation.

These things aren't cheap.

Water can, and has, run down the air spacing of the coax and destroyed tuners.
Dead right! It messed up a TV we had. Had to resort to a set-top-box to view anything. Eventually, the TV tuner dried out and started working again - so we were lucky.

I can usually get an acceptable signal from Belmont (I'm in South Notts and my aerial is pointing at Waltham!). At the moment the signal quality is poor (40-60% for D3&4). Unfortunately cannot check BBCA at present as my computer interferes with that multiplex.

Dead right! It messed up a TV we had. Had to resort to a set-top-box to view anything. Eventually, the TV tuner dried out and started working again - so we were lucky.

I can usually get an acceptable signal from Belmont (I'm in South Notts and my aerial is pointing at Waltham!). At the moment the signal quality is poor (40-60% for D3&4). Unfortunately cannot check BBCA at present as my computer interferes with that multiplex.

So DO NOT retune your set to try to get a better picture! It won't work and you risk having to do a complete manual tune later to recover the situation.

Well we had the aerial work done but I'm not 100% happy.

We got our signal strength back and everything on channel 30 & 33 HD but we lost channel 35 which currently has nothing on it we watch but as it's HD it may have in the future.

Back