Best alternative to RM-F04 Remote

gat

Hi, my RM-F04 is worn out and I hear that these remotes are prone to this. Therefore can anyone recommend a good alternative, with most and perhaps per functions than the RM-F04? I need one that controls TV, HDR, Blu-ray player etc.

In what way "worn out"? Buttons unresponsive? Are you sure it isn't just the batteries (the lights are supposed to chase when the batteries are getting low, but I have found they don't always - the relevant light just shows a bit dim)? There are instructions on the wiki for disassembly and contact cleaning: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Disassembled

I've had these handsets for five years, and none of mine have worn out. The worst that has happened is that the chrome plating on the nav pad has flaked away, leaving a sharp edge (apply clear nail varnish to protect it), and the OK button is a bit unresponsive (should be OK when cleaned).

The subject of universal remotes already has a topic in the 'Arms: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/universal-remotes.1479/

The fact is that, unless you get an all-singing-all-dancing universal remote (totally configurable and at considerable expense), there will always be some buttons missing. I also use a Harmony 300 in a couple of locations, it's pretty good and can control four items including a TV, but with only four "undedicated" buttons I have to sacrifice some of the standard RM-F04 functions: like bookmarks, for example.

Take it apart, clean the PCB and the 'rubber' pads on the back of the buttons with some sort of alcohol, re-assemble as per BH's link above.

In what way "worn out"? Buttons unresponsive? Are you sure it isn't just the batteries (the lights are supposed to chase when the batteries are getting low, but I have found they don't always - the relevant light just shows a bit dim)? There are instructions on the wiki for disassembly and contact cleaning: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remote_Disassembled

I've had these handsets for five years, and none of mine have worn out. The worst that has happened is that the chrome plating on the nav pad has flaked away, leaving a sharp edge (apply clear nail varnish to protect it), and the OK button is a bit unresponsive (should be OK when cleaned).

The subject of universal remotes already has a topic in the 'Arms: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/universal-remotes.1479/

The fact is that, unless you get an all-singing-all-dancing universal remote (totally configurable and at considerable expense), there will always be some buttons missing. I also use a Harmony 300 in a couple of locations, it's pretty good and can control four items including a TV, but with only four "undedicated" buttons I have to sacrifice some of the standard RM-F04 functions: like bookmarks, for example.

The PVR and TV mode buttons have to be pressed down really hard with finger nails to get a response. Other buttons mostly OK. Its over 5 years old and batteries are fine. I read somewhere that these remotes are prone to this and 5 years seems to be a better than average life for these remotes.

The PVR and TV mode buttons have to be pressed down really hard with finger nails to get a response. Other buttons mostly OK. Its over 5 years old and batteries are fine. I read somewhere that these remotes are prone to this and 5 years seems to be a better than average life for these remotes.
Check out the first link in post #2 that describes taking the remote control apart. Where you have poorly responding buttons, the method described that uses foil and double-sided tape does work.
You can still buy new, genuine replacement remote control handsets (eBay, Amazon), but they cost about £30.

I'm surprised that your PVR and TV mode buttons are giving you trouble, as these are the least used buttons on my remote controls. It seems to be more common for the OK, OPT+, and Skip Buttons to give trouble, as these seem to get the most use.
If you have been happy with your RM-F04 remote control, why not buy yourself a replacement, then you won't have the hassle of getting used to a universal programmable remote control? There are quite a number of New genuine Humax RM-F04 remote controls on eBay for less than £22 including postage.

Yes, mine's driving me mad as well - the OK button is very iffy on my main unit, and the pause button is a bit iffy on the spare.
I've just bought a new one for £21.49 off eBay as I've found in the past that trying to pi$$ about disassembling such things is a) a time waster, b) guaranteed to leave nasty little marks/dents/holes all over the plastic, c) ends up making things worse not better, and all of these put me in a bad mood!

Well, by the time you put all three together, that must leave you fuming over your fake Russian vodka.;)

I actually prefer to use the RM-I09U with my HDR-T2 due to its much better layout for the main video navigation keys.

Back