Best Aura setting to let Sony tv perform upscale

I will be buying the new Sony 90L tv in the new year and I've read that the Sony has the best upscaling, but I'm wondering how I go about this, so that the tv does the upscaling?

Should I set the Aura to output just 1080P?

The setting I have at the moment, the Aura automatically adjusts depending on what type of picture it detects, which works well.

Last edited:
What you need is a setting to output "original", otherwise you'll get two lots of upscaling.

The TV will always upscale/downscale whatever comes in to its native number of pixels, so to avoid double scaling you either have to present the TV with an image format matching its pixels, or unscaled so that the TV does all the scaling.

The setting I have at the moment, the Aura automatically adjusts depending on what type of picture it detects, which works well.
We have an Aura with a 4k Sony TV. We have the Aura set to auto which it claims will output the native TV format, but looking at the data on the box and TV it seems to upscale it to 4k anyway. That was while set to ITV3 which is a 720 channel.
It recommends 1080p 60hz for a fixed format, but as BH says that will incur two rescalings, which could be worse than just letting the Aura do it all.

The other catch is that if you use the Aura for streaming 4k content it will get downscaled to 1080.

So there isn't really a solution?
From what I've seen, no. You can experiment a bit, but of course different source programmes, even of the same resolution, may give different results. Unfortunately the Aura is my other half's box, so I don't usually watch it and my experience is thus limited. (That said, I think the freesat box, which we/I both watch, also upscales to 4k and the pictures look fine to me. Not as good as streamed 4k but even some of that isn't really impressive.)
There are a couple of other more experienced Aura users here, so they might have some ideas.

Back