Best or Easiest Way to Convert .ts to MP4

aesmith

Hi,
I suppose this isn't strictly a custom firmware issue, but I wonder if there are any suggestions for the best way to convert the recordings in ".ts" format into MP4. This arises because our Humax is dying and there's some stuff I want to save and transfer to its replacement. Although we're replacing with the same model HDR-Fox T2 and it will also have custom firmware, I would like to take the opportunity to convert to a more mainstream format at the same time. I'm going to FTP to my desktop PC then FTP back down to the new Humax so if I can convert to MP4 I'll do so on the desktop PC.

Thanks Tony S

ffmpeg is the standard tool for video and audio format conversions.
There are many other tools that will do the same but with flashier user interfaces.

Remember that all recordings will need to be decrypted first (which can now be done on the PC)

But it you are moving to another humax why bother, you will lose many of the benefits of the humax sidecar files such Title and Synopsis information, bookmarks, fast navigation through recording,

Although we're replacing with the same model HDR-Fox T2 and it will also have custom firmware, I would like to take the opportunity to convert to a more mainstream format at the same time.
Absolutely no point in that at all. The HDR-FOX will play non-M2TS media, but is far more adept at M2TS (which is what it was designed for). You could create MP4 duplicates for other purposes, but that just doubles your storage space requirements.

Thanks for the comments, maybe you're right. However, I think I've been misunderstanding decryption of HD recordings. I'm running the "auto-unprotect" package and I've just realised that doesn't actually decrypt HD recordings, just removes the flag. Is there another package that actually decrypts on the box, unattended? This particular Humax is our second one, the first died more suddenly and thoroughly and so I may be misremembering a package I was running then that I didn't add to the current machine.

Otherwise I guess I need to read up on the offline decrypt process. I am sure I've taken off air recordings and blown them onto DVD, but only many years ago.

auto-decrypt is a standard part of the webif and can be enabled by setting the (recursive)Autodecrypt flag on a folder,
You can also schedule selected files for decryption using the Queue for ... option at the bottom of the browse page.
Before decrypting large number of files disable "Create backup files in dustbin for decrypt and shrink? " under auto processing on the settings page

However before doing that you need to consider why you think your current machine is failing and whether a large amount of additional disk activity will push it over the edge

Thanks everyone. Yes I neglected to set auto decryption on this Humax, so I guess my options are now .. (1) decrypt on the box, (2) FTP off and do the offline decrypt or (3) set Custom Decryption Key on the replacement box to be the same as the old one.

The fault with the current machine is that it plays a blank green screen out of HDMI, not always but sometimes it takes a few power cycles before it returns to normal. I can't think why extra disk activity would worsen this, but once something starts to fail I suppose anything's possible. I have the new one setup I was intending just to leave the old one accessible on the LAN so stuff could be pulled off it as needed. But that assumed it was already decrypted. Maybe what I should do is copy everything anyway so it's accessibly if the box dies, then worry about decryption afterwards.

I think I've been misunderstanding decryption of HD recordings. I'm running the "auto-unprotect" package and I've just realised that doesn't actually decrypt HD recordings, just removes the flag.
Correct, and all thoroughly explained in Things Every... (click) section 5 (and subsequent links).

Maybe what I should do is copy everything anyway so it's accessibly if the box dies, then worry about decryption afterwards.
As we know how to decrypt (so long as you have a record of the original box's S/N and MAC), yes. Keep a record of the S/N and MAC of all previous HDR-FOXes (and HD-FOXes) so you have a chance of recovering any archived recordings from the past which turn out not to have been decrypted. The S/N and MAC appear on the product ID label.

(3) set Custom Decryption Key on the replacement box to be the same as the old one.
  1. Ensure any existing recordings on the NEW box (HDR-FOX) are decrypted (not just unprotected!).

2. Set the decryption key on the NEW box to match the OLD box.

3. Copy in recordings from the OLD box. In my view, the easiest (but not the quickest) way to do that is to simply extract the drive from the old box and connect it to the new box by USB.

4. Decrypt the recordings from the OLD box (and any recordings made on the NEW box since setting the decryption key). Copy from USB might well have decrypted everything copied in the process, automatically (the only exceptions being HiDef recordings still with the protection flag set).

5. Only once everything is decrypted, return the decryption key on the NEW box to native. This step is recommended because if the box ever boots without CF, it will default to the native key.

Last edited:
OK thanks I think I'm sorted now. I know exactly what happened, when we got our first Humax I researched all the custom firmware options and functions and set things up to suit. When that first box failed and I setup its replacement (our current box) I went mostly from memory, and must have missed out the auto decryption settings.

OK thanks I think I'm sorted now. I know exactly what happened, when we got our first Humax I researched all the custom firmware options and functions and set things up to suit. When that first box failed and I setup its replacement (our current box) I went mostly from memory, and must have missed out the auto decryption settings.
If you don't suspect disk problems there should be no problems running decryption on it, even if it should crash the process will resume on restart, leave it on overnight to process the bulk of the recordings

I've revised my process above to capitalise on decryption by USB copy:
  1. Ensure any existing recordings on the NEW box (HDR-FOX) are decrypted (not just unprotected!).

2. Set the decryption key on the NEW box to match the OLD box.

3. Copy in recordings from the OLD box. In my view, the easiest (but not the quickest) way to do that is to simply extract the drive from the old box and connect it to the new box by USB.

4. Decrypt the recordings from the OLD box (and any recordings made on the NEW box since setting the decryption key). Copy from USB might well have decrypted everything copied in the process, automatically (the only exceptions being HiDef recordings still with the protection flag set).

5. Only once everything is decrypted, return the decryption key on the NEW box to native. This step is recommended because if the box ever boots without CF, it will default to the native key.

..The fault with the current machine is that it plays a blank green screen out of HDMI, not always but sometimes it takes a few power cycles before it returns to normal.
If the old box mainly works (except for the green screen HDMI issue) then I think you're right in that you can leave it plugged into your network so that you can do things like decrypt, housekeeping etc at your leisure. You can transfer the decrypted recordings via the network. Also the webif will still be accessible. Just make sure you can identify which machine is which (eg by IP or contents or webif banner)

Copy from USB might well have decrypted everything copied in the process,
Decryption only happens on copy TO a USB drive, not copy from a USB drive

Decryption does occur both ways but only if you use the remote control to initiate the copy, it does not occur when using webif, ftp etc. to copy

Last edited:
I don't agree. I'm pretty sure we've demonstrated decryption occurs in the opposite direction too (although that was in the mist of time). I'm putting the onus on you to prove your claim.

That disagrees with a post by raydon dated 5 May 2011, and in my experience also still applies to later software.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy...or-the-hdr-fox-t2-now-released.240/#post-2746

Without a nework connection

(a) On the T2, open Media, browse to your HD video, and copy it to your USB drive.
(b) Connect the USB drive to your PC then follow step (b) as above.
(c) Connect the USB drive to the T2, browse to the USB drive using Media browser, then copy the recording back to the T2.
You can overwite the original or copy it to a different location.
The recording on the T2 will now be in the clear.
(d) Finally you need to do one last copy from the T2 back to USB.

As you can see, the decryption works in both directions so if you have earlier backups of encrypted HD recordings you can process the hmt file in the same way, before copying the recording back to the T2.

In particular
the decryption works in both directions

Last edited:
If the machines behave anything like the 2000T and 5000T, decryption does occur both ways. Providing you have an encrypted .ts file and associated sidecar files (for 2000T: .hmt showing file is encrypted but decryption allowed) on the USB drive, copying them back to the Humax has the desired effect. (Slightly more difficult and HiDef excepted in the 5000T case).

Thanks again. I've enabled auto decrypt on the old box and it's now completed. I think my tests on .ts to .mp4 conversion must have been done using encrypted files. On the PC now I can either play the .ts directly or convert with various tools I have to hand. I think it makes sense to leave them as .ts for the reasons you've given already, but it's nice to know they can be converted if the need arises.

Thanks again. I've enabled auto decrypt on the old box and it's now completed. ..
Great. Also, in case you haven't done it already, check the hard drive / filesystem to make sure those are ok.
You can still use this old box with the HDMI green screen issue. The HDMI issue may be specific to the connected TV and Humax combination, or you can use the lower quality connections (scart or phono).

Thanks again. It looks like I might have more problems, the replacement shows the same fault ..

Back