Best way to solve HDD Problems

Andybrody

I've been having a lot of problems recently with HDD e.g. delete loop, crashing and picture break up on playback, no picture break up on live TV.
So I'm currently copying all recordings via network to a PC.
Once that is done I'm going to format the HDD and then run fix disc.
Is it best to let the Hummy to format it, or take it out and let Windows do it, should fix disc be used before or after formatting. Will I need to reinstall all packages afterwards or will they stay there.
Thanks for any help
Cheers Andy

Web interface version: 1.0.17-1
Custom firmware version: 3.00 (build 2137)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)
Serial Number: 63 7104460 01483

I would definitely run fix-disk before doing a HDD format, it will probably be the only thing you need to do and is a far less disruptive than doing the format, e.g. no files need to be copied off your hard disk and no re-format required

I would definitely run fix-disk before doing a HDD format, it will probably be the only thing you need to do and is a far less disruptive than doing the format, e.g. no files need to be copied off your hard disk and no re-format required
The only problem with that is I have very recently run fix-disc and it seem to cure the problem but after about a week the problem started to come back, there was another symptom that when trying to view media on TV it would take anything up to to 20 seconds to display the files (processing).
I'm thinking a new HDD will be required.

It really depends on what is wrong with the HDD, if areas of the disk are becoming unusable a format can mark them as 'Do-Not-Use', but if the area is growing a format won't solve the problem for long. What do you get in lines 5, 197 and 198 (raw value) when you run the Web-If >> Diagnostics >> Hard Disk screen?

Yes, it's the middle one I was referring to, all zeros in lines 5, 197 and 198 are indicators of good health. The disk has been running for 10697 hours which is high but I have the same drive with 11000+ hours on the clock and no sign of it playing up yet (famous last words), It would still be good to see what fix-disk has to report

Ok ill run fix disc tonight while were asleep and get results posted tomorrow.
Thanks for you help so far.
By the way I've also had some problems when doing a live review/rewind e.g. not running back properly and picture break up,
will fix disc look at that part of the HDD or do I need to give it specific instructions to look at that sector.
Cheers again
Andy

Just Carried out
3 - Run long hard-disk self test.
and got this result
# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 10701
Just going to start Fix-Disc
Post results later
Cheers
Andy

Hi Ezra
Here are the results of the fix disc.
Any light you can pour on this would be appreciated
Cheers Andy

Humax HDR-Fox T2 (HumaxLounge) 1.02.32/3.00 ]
1 - Check and repair hard disk (fix-disk).
2 - Run short hard-disk self test.
3 - Run long hard-disk self test.
4 - Check self-test progress.
epg - Clear persistent EPG data.
x - Leave maintenance mode (Humax will restart).
diag - Run a diagnostic.
cli - System command line (advanced users).
Please select option: 1
Any additional options (or press return for none):
Are you sure you wish to run the hard disk checker? [Y/N] y
Running /bin/fix-disk
Custom firmware version 3.00
Checking disk sda
Unmounted /dev/sda1
Unmounted /dev/sda2
Unmounted /dev/sda3
Running short disk self test
No pending sectors found - skipping sector repair
Using superblock 0 on sda1
Using superblock 0 on sda2
Using superblock 0 on sda3
Checking partition /dev/sda3...
e2fsck 1.42.10 (18-May-2014)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
hmx_int_stor: 15/655776 files (6.7% non-contiguous), 235399/2622611 blocks
Checking partition /dev/sda1...
hmx_int_stor: 15/65808 files (6.7% non-contiguous), 15190/263062 blocks
Creating swap file...
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 1073737728 bytes
UUID=ef9d0628-3aae-4fa4-a68e-d2f78577a37e
Checking partition /dev/sda2...
hmx_int_stor: 11258/29860704 files (2.0% non-contiguous), 47212957/119209984 blocks
Removing extra swap space.
Are you having problems with a delete loop? [Y/N]: y
Finished

If Fix-disk had found (and corrected ) anything I would have said check to see if has fixed your problems, but to me, it doesn't look as if fix-disk did find anything, so I guess you will still have your playback etc. problems, if so, you could start with a non-format return to factory default to see if that fixes your problems before going for the return to factory default with format

Thanks for that, I'll check with several recordings today then try factory default if there is still problems
Cheers again
Andy

All appears to be ok at the moment so hopefully no need to factory reset or format HDD.
Thanks for advice Ezra I'm sure we speak again.
Andy

Hi Ezra
Machine crashed again this is what was in crash log
Any Ideas

>>> Contents of /mod/tmp/crash.log 61 bytes
Humax crashed at Sat Oct 18 03:40:00 GMT 2014 - Uptime: 1257

Humax crashed at Sat Oct 18 03:40:00 GMT 2014 - Uptime: 1257
Do you place the Humax in standby over night? the crash log is reporting a crash at 3:40 in the morning. It has been reported that the Humax can get unstable when permanently on. I have also just noticed that the Time shows GMT which is odd as we are still in BST (displayed as UTC), is the time correct on your Humax when you press pause and wait for 3 Minutes to get the Humax screen saver clock on the TV?

I think I would go for the factory reset without format

Hi
I'm having similar problems, except in my case I'm pretty sure my HDD is on the way out. Lines 197 & 198 of disk diagnostics both read 0 but line 5 reads 1849 (raw) and increasing. I did a fix disk but it didn't help much. I may try this again, but I'm thinking of a disk re-format, although I realise this may just be a short term sticking plaster. I've backed up the files off in anticipation of this, but I haven't decrypted them. Can I check with you all: am I correct in thinking that the encryption key is based on the HDD id, and that if I reformat the HDD and copy the encrypted files back they should play ok; but if I change the HDD I will no longer be able to play them as the unit will no longer have the same key?
Thanks

Hi Ezra
Checked clock via 3min pause time displayed correctly 17:14:55. Not sure or how to check/change Clock setting
on the machine I thought it got the time from the EPG.

Normally the machine switches itself on/off via scheduler several times during the night e.g.
BBC Red Button at 04.20 for 20 mins.
Wake 00.15
Sleep 00.30
Wake 00.30
Sleep 02.00
Wake 06.00
Sleep 06.15

I do not know where these wake/sleeps came from I do not remember setting them. I can delete them if you think
this may be confusing the Hummy.

So I'm not sure why it was on at 3.40 on Saturday but saying that my older daughter was here
on Saturday while we were away.

I'll try a factory reset if it crashes again.
Thanks again
Andy

I'm pretty sure my HDD is on the way out. Lines 197 & 198 of disk diagnostics both read 0 but line 5 reads 1849 (raw) and increasing.
I'm pretty sure that's a reasonable assumption.
I did a fix disk but it didn't help much.
No, it probably won't.
I may try this again, but I'm thinking of a disk re-format, although I realise this may just be a short term sticking plaster.
Indeed.
am I correct in thinking that the encryption key is based on the HDD id, and that if I reformat the HDD and copy the encrypted files back they should play ok; but if I change the HDD I will no longer be able to play them as the unit will no longer have the same key?
No, the key is tied to the machine, not the HDD. You should still decrypt everything as a matter of course IMHO. If the machine dies, you have lost everything that isn't decrypted. If it is decrypted, then you can recover it from the disk one way or another.

am I correct in thinking that the encryption key is based on the HDD id
Wherever did you get that idea? The encryption key is hard-coded into the HDR-FOX itself, and unique to each HDR-FOX.

If you were to install a new HDD and then transfer your recordings to it from the old HDD, they would still play in the same HDR-FOX regardless of remaining encrypted. In fact, if the old HDD were connected by USB for the transfer, and the transfer initiated using the handset and on-screen menus, StDef recordings would be decrypted in the process (HiDef recordings would remain encrypted).

Recordings can also be played directly from the old HDD connected by USB.

Last edited:
Checked clock via 3min pause time displayed correctly 17:14:55. Not sure or how to check/change Clock setting on the machine I thought it got the time from the EPG.
It does, but there is a time zone adjustment in the hidden settings.

Wake 00.15
Sleep 00.30
Wake 00.30
Sleep 02.00
Wake 06.00
Sleep 06.15
I don't like the look of those, get rid of them.

If you must have the machine wake periodically, eg to fetch remote scheduling updates, use reminder schedules not timer on/offs.

Back