Best way to swap HDD between two T2

Only if you have decrypted preexisting recordings first.

Easiest is to set the key of the receiving machine to that of the source then no need to decrypt.

Easiest is to set the key of the receiving machine to that of the source then no need to decrypt.
Won't that make (undecrypted) recordings on the receiving machine unwatchable?

I think you have to decrypt (or lose) at least one boxes encrypted recordings if you don't decrypt.

Unless using the slower software decryption to play a recording the machine has to have the same key that was used to make the recording.
So you need to swap keys along with the HDDs or decrypt everything before swapping.

Zero/blank key has no special significance it is just another key value

Zero/blank key has no special significance it is just another key value
That's right. Zero key is just a key that has all the same digits, so a key of all zeros or all 1s etc behave similar.
It takes advantage of this, according to the Advance Settings/Encryption Key -
'Custom encryption key
NB: For fastest direct decryption, set the second half of the key to the same as the first half.'

According to this, OP set both keys the same
If the boxes have the same firmware and I zero/blank the encryption key to both hdd could I just swap?
So OP needs to make sure of this
Only if you have decrypted preexisting recordings first.
Which ties in with your last post.
I.e. preexisting encrypted recordings prior to key change won't playback natively.

Last edited:
Unless using the slower software decryption to play a recording the machine has to have the same key that was used to make the recording.
So you need to swap keys along with the HDDs or decrypt everything before swapping.
Let me see if I got this:

Swap the key from box 1 to box 2 together with HDD and viceversa. No need to decrypt

Let me see if I got this:

Swap the key from box 1 to box 2 together with HDD and viceversa. No need to decrypt
If that is literally what you are doing, with no requirement for (eg) both HDD to be able to play in the same machine, then yes.

Back