Bit of a problem - and need to catch up

dragnil

Hi, I've not been around the forum for some time and that's probably been because the TV and Hummy have been working fine.
That all stopped last week when we started to watch a recorded programme and the Hummy hung up then restarted a number of times. I did the usual - switch off at the back, offer a swift prayer but it was still very flakey. I leaves me with a few questions:

1. Is there a cure for this problem?
2. If no, what is the best replacement for the obsolete machine which has given truly excellent service. All we need is a couple of tuners and a recorder and we use only Freeview.
3. If Hummy is dead can I use the drive, after testing, in other devices?

I'm using Custom FW from a file saved as, HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03
We're not great TV watchers and at this time of the year watch very little but in the darker evenings we do watch a bit and it's good to be able to watch recorded rugby matches, so I'm hoping to find the same help as I've received gratefully in the past.
David

Follow up after doing a bit of searching (which I should have done before my first post).
Question 1 still stands but I see I've had this Hummy since Jan 2011 so it doesn't owe me a great deal.
I'm fairly sure Q3 is yes subject to formatting and testing.
For Q2, do you think the DTR-T2000 (You view) would fit the bill - it looks like it to me, and it's a hundred pounds less than the present one was!

I'm sure others will come, but I'd expect the problem may well be that the drive is failing.
If so the answer to Q3 is going to be no. OTOH, in that case you should be able to just replace the drive and not have to learn/discover the particular foibles of a new system (see elsewhere for views on Youview).

And if you do decide to bin it. Offer it up here first as I'm sure that someone will buy it off you.:)

What a forum this is! Thanks to all the above; I didn't realise there could be a way of disposing of it without resorting to the recycling centre.
Black Hole - your links is excellent and I thought that the Disk Repair option would be worth a try, so I've backed up all recordings (found a use for one of the pile of HDs removed from updated PC) and will give it a shot. As I said, we are not TV addicts, but as the TV is not a smart one so my first thought was to replace the Humax but there's no point in spending unnecessarily and I sense a lack of enthusiasm for You View although my daughter thinks it's good. Any opinions on that?

I thought that the Disk Repair option would be worth a try
It is, but seeing as you are customised, why not find the disk's SMART stats. via the WebIf Diagnostics page and post them? Then somebody will tell you whether or not you are wasting your time attempting to fix the filesystem and whether just to buy a new disk.
the TV is not a smart one
Even smart TVs end up dumb after a very few years. Some would say they are not that smart to start with. I don't bother with mine for the most part (although Amazon did virtually force a free trial on me, so I relieved them of it and watched a series I wouldn't otherwise have).
I sense a lack of enthusiasm for You View
You won't find many takers round here.
I didn't realise there could be a way of disposing of it without resorting to the recycling centre.
There's probably nothing wrong with the box itself. If you really don't want it, I'll relieve you of it as I have an intermittently flaky one.

Hmm, if it's not too far off topic, what's wrong with You View? Answers on a postcard please.
SMART stats attached - thanks for the cue.

Attachments

• Hummy_1.JPG
    Hummy_1.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks, Martin, I have no idea how to interpret the numbers, to me ID1 looks pretty dramatic but I'm happy that it looks OK to you. Fixdisk ran and stalled a number of times but did complete without listing any errors, just said lots of things were checked.
It was all so much easier in DOS3.2 ...
So thanks again, I'll probably stick with this, being a Yorkshireman, and just hope the rebooting problem goes away - I've got the Boss testing it this evening.

You're right BH but I like cherries and am too frightened of screwing the whole thing by running tests I don't really understand. Are you suggesting the whole battery of items listed in PuTTY?

You're right BH but I like cherries and am too frightened of screwing the whole thing by running tests I don't really understand. Are you suggesting the whole battery of items listed in PuTTY?
You were cherry picking from the link supplied in #5. To systematically work through that link you would need to revisit the link then start from the top and work your way down one step at a time.

I sense a lack of enthusiasm for You View although my daughter thinks it's good. Any opinions on that?
There's a forum section on the DTR boxes and another on Youview. Have a read through those and you'll get a feel for the system and the interface.

Well, it's been a good learning day. I titled the thread with a need to catch up and that meant with newer hardware and this new-fangled You View.
In the midst of all that, the oven packed in when I was baking and just putting in the bread - it must be a Humax oven because it has worked fine after a reboot! Thanks for all the help with my restarts and other advice. One of the good things about the present Hummy is that I can copy onto an external disc and that seems to be problematic with You View so the Boss agrees that we'll stay with what we've got and it's behaving itself again now. So, until the next panic, thanks again.

Thanks for all the help with my restarts and other advice. One of the good things about the present Hummy is that I can copy onto an external disc and that seems to be problematic with You View so the Boss agrees that we'll stay with what we've got and it's behaving itself again now. So, until the next panic, thanks again.
I think I'd be tempted to buy and fit a new drive given the length of time you've used it. Certainly would if problems come back. Easy to do - advice on type and fitting instructions are on the forum.

I think I'd be tempted to buy and fit a new drive given the length of time you've used it. Certainly would if problems come back. Easy to do - advice on type and fitting instructions are on the forum.
Why do you advise that? The drive shows no signs of problems and has only 7255 power on hours; the drive in our HDR-FOX T2 has nearly 20,000 power on hours with no problems. I seem to recollect the rated life of these drives is 100,000 hours.

Well, the smart says 7,255 hours 92% left makes it > 70,000 odd hours. = about 8 years left.

Back