Blank .nts files

jxp

I've just been away for a week and come back today.
I checked the recordings and everything seems to have been recorded.

However two of the recordings show 0 mins and the Humax refuses to play them. Checking the raw files I noticed that they both had .ts files of the expected size but 0 byte nts files.

I checked the auto_decrpyt folder and the nts file there was also 0 bytes.
I copied one of the files off the Humax and it plays fine.

Is there are way to recover from this? Would deleting the nts files help?

The TS file should play without the 'sidecar' files, however you will lose thumbnails, bookmarks etc. that are held in them. You could move or re-name the smaller files temporarily to see if the standalone TS will play, without the sidecar files it's name should be shown in full i.e. with the TS on the end

It will not be able to play an orphaned TS file if it is still encrypted.
Sorry you are correct, I must have tried this on files I had previously decrypted
jxp : Is there are way to recover from this? Would deleting the nts files help?
There is a utility HERE that will recreate a set of sidecar files from a TS file, however, I think that it will only work on decrypted files, so it won't be of any use to you if you can't play the stand alone TS file on your Humax

I had a similar problem again. The Humax thought an hour recording was only 17 minutes long. The ffwd and "jump to" functions only worked up to 17 minutes, but I could play the whole recording OK.

I managed to edit the hmt file to reflect the correct run time but this didn't make any difference (other than it now displayed the correct time).
I think the nts file needs re-building.

Does anyone have any thoughts on re-building the nts file on the Humax automatically (possibly as an overnight job)?
I think ffprobe -show_frames gives the required info to build the nts file from.
Is this workable?

I suppose the problem might be that the ts recording is corrupt and can't be fully indexed.
Any ideas as to a quick test to check this?

Does anyone have any thoughts on re-building the nts file on the Humax automatically (possibly as an overnight job)?
I think ffprobe -show_frames gives the required info to build the nts file from.
Is this workable?
Yes, that should be possible but would take some time to develop. The Humax should have enough grunt to do it. You can dump a .nts file using nicesplice if you want to see what's in there and compare with the ffprobe output.

(nicesplice -in <file without .ts extension> -dump)

Back