Blank webif

Ok so I tried to reset the firmware with setrma and then installed cfw again but it still says RMA on the panel.
The normal procedure following set RMA is to install standard firmware (thus removing the custom firmware).

I've come to a dead end here, anyone able to suggest anything else? Maybe put some older stock firmware on it instead of the 1.03.06?
Perhaps I've missed something here, but did we know you had 1.03.06 installed? Alarm bells are sounding. More info please. Was the Humax delivered with 1.03.06 installed or have you been playing yourself?

The normal procedure following set RMA is to install standard firmware (thus removing the custom firmware).
If the intention is to continue to use the custom firmware then the resetrma diagnostic is a quicker way to achieve a very similar result. If the aim is to return to manufacturer then the "normal procedure" is the way forward.

Edit: Removed second paragraph since it wasn't strictly true.

I can't find anything by this name...
It should have been remove_mod_yes_i_am_sure but I have since removed that paragraph since it is not quite as thorough as "resetrma". However, it would probably have fixed the problem in this particular case.

If the intention is to continue to use the custom firmware then the resetrma diagnostic is a quicker way to achieve a very similar result. If the aim is to return to manufacturer then the "normal procedure" is the way forward.

Maybe, but if there are problems being experienced which have not been cured by the usual remedies, I would have thought a complete restoration to standard firmware before then loading custom firmware again would create a cleaner slate than just resetting the RMA flag.

I am concerned about the implications of 1.03.06. We don't have an official copy to reload (only an extracted version presumed to be OK), and custom firmware for it also presumed to be OK (no sleight to AF intended). The OP could be advised to install 1.02.32, but there is a possibility it won't work on his machine (although at this point there seems little additional risk in trying it).

Maybe, but if there are problems being experienced which have not been cured by the usual remedies, I would have thought a complete restoration to standard firmware before then loading custom firmware again would create a cleaner slate than just resetting the RMA flag.
It is not the resetting of the rma flag which clears the software. It is the reboot following the setrma diagnostic which clears out all the custom firmware related software on the hard disk. The residual RMA flag just prevents the custom firmware from starting up and recreating the /mod directory structure on the hard disk. The flag can be removed by installing standard firmware or by using the resetrma diagnostic.
I am concerned about the implications of 1.03.06. We don't have an official copy to reload (only an extracted version presumed to be OK), and custom firmware for it also presumed to be OK (no sleight to AF intended). The OP could be advised to install 1.02.32, but there is a possibility it won't work on his machine (although at this point there seems little additional risk in trying it).
I think the custom firmware installation was messed up in some way in this case. Without being able to look at the structure in detail it is not really possible to determine how. I don't think the version of standard/custom firmware will make much difference since he will be starting with a clean slate now.

Edit. Various edits to hopefully improve clarity.

Wow you guys have been busy thinking about this, I really appreciate it :) I'm on my phone so will just reply as concise as possible.

Installing standard firmware wasn't removing the RMA so that's why I was looking for a solution to that, although I did only try the 1.03.06 but my box came with an earlier version I believe as I've had it a year or so now.

So the resetrma via telnet removed the message and the webif was back :) so I went ahead to install all packages and it got so far then came up with an error.

Collected errors:
* opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.

I'll have a go and getting it onto an earlier stock version rather than the extracted one and see where that gets me.

Collected errors:
* opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again.
That's usually a transient error. Try again later.

It is not the resetting of the rma flag which clears the software. It is the reboot following the setrma diagnostic which clears out all the custom firmware related software on the had disk. The residual RMA flag just prevents the custom firmware from starting up and recreating the /mod directory structure on the hard disk. The flag can be removed by installing standard firmware or by using the resetrma diagnostic.
I think we are talking at crossed-purposes.

There is a bug somewhere in the package installation which sometimes causes this error to appear. It is nothing to do with the custom firmware installation. You should try again without making any changes.

I gave it another few tries but kept going to install page with same errors so I'll try it all fresh again today :)

Edit:

Pretty much sorted now, full webif now installed although i'm getting a smart warning message with 'Disk realloc sector count is: 27'

e0cd97ab1d.png

Here's what I ended up doing in the end:​
Telnetted in and setrma again and then installed 1.02.32 official firmware, rebooted(RMA on screen then got cleared unlike before).​
So then went ahead and installed the latest custom firmware, rebooted and then went to webif, installed, no errors on the install, just the one error on the webif.​

Other than that, all seems good, thanks so much for everyones help :D do I need to be concerned about that SMART error?​

Other than that, all seems good, thanks so much for everyones help :D do I need to be concerned about that SMART error?​
I would say it is not a significant concern. Keep an eye on the count of reallocated sectors; start worrying when it reaches a thousand or the rate of reallocation is more than five a day.

Back