Booted to Wizard...

Starb7

Hi All

Odd thing happened the other day. I booted my HDR-Fox-T2 as normal and was greeting to the 'Wizard' (as when the box was new). Couldn't get out of it and rebooting did the same thing so have to go through the steps, etc. It took me through the various stages, retunes and other settings and I expected that I would lose all my settings (I did) and expected to lose the WebIf and all packages, etc.... now that's the odd bit. Some of the packages worked OK (Deleted Folder, RedRing, for example) but some failed such as Sweeper and the Advert remover one. No worries, probably time for a clean up so I got the latest firmware (one version newer) installed it, removed all packages (rebooting in between each stage) added the packages back in and thought that was it. Nope still many issues so I reverted to 'Factory Defaults', installed the Web Interface, downloaded the packages (which still seems to be there?) and got it all working except for one niggle I cannot seem to fix which is the Humax own Auto Power Up option.

I like my box to power up in the morning, say 08:30 and go off at 10:00 on BBC1 every day (as it also updates the Hummy RS Schedule) and this has worked fine for years until this issue. I have tried resetting all the values (oddly it still had them?) and changed just one, eg the time and waited for the next day to try and pin it down... no luck. What i also find is that when I do power the box up, it is alway on Channel 4 in the morning, even if I have been on another when I have powered down but seems to remember a power cycle during the day - is something happening to box overnight that would change it to C4?

So, my query is (and I half expect the answer) should I just start again from scratch and if so, should I revert to Stock Firmware first, do a fresh system, update the firmware, add the W/I and then the packages or is there a way to fix the power up issue?

Sorry it's a bit wordy and TIA

EDIT (ps) Also the DetectAds package now only works on some folders instead of the entire (media folder) drive ... any ideas?

The wizard is a known issue - it gets triggered at random (as far as we know) and very infrequently.

The boot-settings package, combined with WebIF schedule restore, means there's not a lot to worry about. When it happens, just do the minimum necessary to get it running again, then reboot to let the CF restore everything.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/is-there-a-good-time-to-retune.7624/post-103888

Last edited:
Also the DetectAds package now only works on some folders instead of the entire (media folder) drive ... any ideas?
Have you checked that you have re-enabled the Content Sharing setting since the Wizard run.

If content sharing is on what are your DetectAds settings and any messages in auto.log and/or detectads.log

When it happens, just do the minimum necessary to get it running again, then reboot to let the CF restore everything.

I agree except last time this happened to me had to do 2 reboots before everything got back. You do need to remember some box settings, though.

is something happening to box overnight that would change it to C4

Check the schedule in the webif.

The wizard is a known issue - it gets triggered at random (as far as we know) and very infrequently.

The boot-settings package, combined with WebIF schedule restore, means there's not a lot to worry about. When it happens, just do the minimum necessary to get it running again, then reboot to let the CF restore everything.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/is-there-a-good-time-to-retune.7624/post-103888
Hi Black Hole, Yes, I had seen that, and did do that, but had the issues described. All is just about working as normal now but it won't power up on the Humax power schedule. Might just do a clean install and start from scratch, not a biggie and gives me something to do this weekend :)

Have you checked that you have re-enabled the Content Sharing setting since the Wizard run.

If content sharing is on what are your DetectAds settings and any messages in auto.log and/or detectads.log
Hi MymsMan, Yes, that's on but as I mentioned, only some folders are detected, odd? Thanks.

I agree except last time this happened to me had to do 2 reboots before everything got back. You do need to remember some box settings, though.

Check the schedule in the webif.
What am I looking for in the Scedule? The Power Up/Down is a Humax feature, not the W/I so not sure how that would effect/stop this. Thanks.

It's still a timer event, and is in the schedule database (even though the Humax UI filters it out). The WebIF schedule viewer shows all events.

It's still a timer event, and is in the schedule database (even though the Humax UI filters it out). The WebIF schedule viewer shows all events.

I deleted it and set the timer to come about an hour ago... it didn't :( Never mind, I think a proper reset and clean up wouldn't hurt. Thanks Black Hole and everyone else for the input and help. Cheers

Been a while but just an update on this. I couldn't get to the bottom of all the issue and so took the plunge and did a full factory recovery and started from scratch. All went well and everything is now running smooth again so was well worth the effort. I just have one issue and know what it is but not how to get around it.

My box has the Power Up and power Down schedule (in the Humax settings) to turn my box on at 08:30 and off at 09:30 every day on BBC1. This works fine until there is a package update and the 'Acknowledge' panel is showing. When this is showing, it either doesn't start or starts to another channel (probably the last one used). If I click the Acknowledge button (in the W/I) the nest day, it works fine.

Q. Is there a way to automatically 'acknowledge' all updates (I think I have seen it but can't find it) or are there any packages that do the same as the Humax feature?

TIA

My box has the Power Up and power Down schedule (in the Humax settings) to turn my box on at 08:30 and off at 09:30 every day on BBC1. This works fine until there is a package update and the 'Acknowledge' panel is showing. When this is showing, it either doesn't start or starts to another channel (probably the last one used). If I click the Acknowledge button (in the W/I) the nest day, it works fine.
That's very curious, and AFAIK the first time anything like this has been reported. There shouldn't be any kind of interaction between the WebIF and the timer schedule.

What does @af123 think?

What does @af123 think?
I think that there should not be any interaction at all.
I have a schedule entry to do something similar each day (a 'Daily wakeup' reminder) since there are definitely known issues arising from the user of the timer settings, although usually only only one is set.

When this is showing, it either doesn't start or starts to another channel (probably the last one used). If I click the Acknowledge button (in the W/I) the nest day, it works fine.
When you say "it doesn't start", what specifically are you talking about? The WebIf has obviously started at this point.
Is there a way to automatically 'acknowledge' all updates (I think I have seen it but can't find it)
The text items are stored in /mod/tmp/notify.log so you can just delete the file. But I don't see the link with whatever it is that isn't starting.
or are there any packages that do the same as the Humax feature?
Huh? What Humax feature?

When you say "it doesn't start", what specifically are you talking about? The WebIf has obviously started at this point.
It doesn't automatically power up at the set time.

Is there a way to automatically 'acknowledge' all updates (I think I have seen it but can't find it)" forget the starting issue, is there a way to automatically acknowledge updates without having to log in to the webif?

Huh? What Humax feature?
Huh?? Look in Menu - Settings - Preferences - Time. Power on Timer!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Trev, when you get a 'huh?' what are you on about? How would you feel? I'm sorry if it's offended, but that kind of response isn't helpful and, from an expert, only comes across as condescending. If you read the entire post, and with some knowledge of the Humax basic functions, any user should know about the power on feature so being 'quizzed' in this way was something of a surprise.

If I have offended you prof, please accept my apologies.

Thanks

My apologies. But, as it prpr's text wasn't quoted at the time I read it, I couldn't make head nor tail of it so gave up. All I 'saw' was 'Cheers' at the bottom.
We get many 'It doesn't work' type posts, that it's sometimes a bit tedious asking the poster to explain exactly what they mean so that an accurate diagnosis can be made without assumption having to be made.
Sorry.

Back