Box Crashed Packages Disabled

ian_j

Had a message last night similar to subject.

How do I find out what packages are disabled?

A couple of weeks ago I updated the box to the latest firmware HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03.zip, since then we have had a few crashes / lockups, seems like more than before but I can't say for sure it's the new FW.

Could it be a failing hard-drive?

How do these stats look?

Humax HDR Fox T2 (humax).png

The relevant packages are those which hook into the "normal" Humax processes and therefore might (potentially) be the cause of a crash. If the CF detects a sequence of crashes it goes into defence mode and tries to remove any influence it might have had on the events. In truth, it is not very likely to have been the cause (at least not after a package update has been soak-tested).

Restore the packages using WebIF >> Diagnostics >> fix-flash-packages

This may be irrelevant to your issue, but sometimes one of my HDRs (Humax Orange) will crash and reboot while my wife is watching QVC. It has, AFAIK, only happened on that channel. I think is could be something to do with the network as QVC has an IP service, according to UK DTT Channel list.

Something to watch out for perhaps?

We don't have any of the shopping channels on our box, but I did do a retune the other day and it found a couple of new QVC channels, at least one in HD.

We have had a few recordings from BBC4 HD & other channels (can't remember which) with noticeable image & sound breakup, wonder if the power has been dropped to accommodate the extra channels.

I'll do another manual retune & make a note of the signal strengths.

I'll place these here for future reference.

2015 05 28 - Signal Strength.png

Last edited:
We have had a few recordings from BBC4 HD & other channels (can't remember which) with noticeable image & sound breakup, wonder if the power has been dropped to accommodate the extra channels.
:rolleyes:

The only figure that is relevant is the quality. Signal strength doesn't matter if quality is 100.

The only decent way to get the quality and strength figures is to go into Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection, and observe the display for a minute or so for each multiplex (making sure there are no sudden brief drop-outs).

The only figure that is relevant is the quality. Signal strength doesn't matter if quality is 100.
I agree with the general sentiment but I wouldn't go as far as to say signal strength doesn't matter. We worked for some time with before DSO with a signal strength below 30% and the multiplexes with the lowest signal strengths were the ones most likely to suffer occasional break up.

I had the same crash message today. It happened just after 0420 which matches the time the box powers up and tunes to QVC every night (part of the Disable OTA package.

Might suggest that QVC is part of the issue.

I was suffering from lots of crashes shortly after manually starting the box and read that the boot up chanel could be responsible. I changed the boot up from 302? (I think) and the crashes stopped. However I was still getting crashes at 0420. I tried changing that channel as well and picked QVC. (I think I read somewhere that only certain channels would prevent the update.)

Is there a better channel that I should be using? It currently starts up on BBC1 nd uses QVC at 0420.

I think I read somewhere that only certain channels would prevent the update.
You never read that here, I can't vouch for what misinformation other sites might be disseminating. The important point is that the unit must be busy at 0430 every day - which we ensure by setting a reminder reservation for 0420-0440, and has the side benefit of ensuring the EPG is kept up to date. The default for the disable-ota custom firmware package is 200, because it is a data service therefore carries no audio and does not get buffered to disk.

Things Every... (click) section 1 paragraph 4.

I can't remember where the info came from. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled disable-ota so the reminder is now for 200.

I probably should have quoted Wallace's comment as it was the coincidence of QVC featuring in his comment and my crash that I was commenting on.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

Since my last post we have had a number of lock ups on the Humax, one just now has prompted me to post here.

When I turn the box on it just locks up.

With the TV on the correct input the screen is flicking as though there is a signal trying to be output but then goes black again and just repeats.

There is nothing in the crash log so I can't post anything here.

Back