Box resets every couple of weeks

Andi

I think my Hummy is getting forgetful in it's old age.

For the second time in 3-4 weeks, I've had to manually power on the Hummy, as the 4am schedule to talk to RS didn't fire, to be greeted by the 'Welcome' wizard.
The custom firmware and all its settings are there - but the 'core' box has reset (no channels, no recordings, all menus reset, etc.).

As the box is constantly connected to power - what could cause this? No power cuts here (yet...!).

Two possible remedies: a proper cold start; and the system flush firmware (see wiki). The system flush is run as if you were installing a new firmware image, but doesn't actually install anything.

Ah, thanks - I will give that a go.
I do have a spare box, but it gets hotter (always getting 50degC warnings, but rarely goes over 52) and is only a 500gb - so I'm just copying everything off the 1TB one onto my NAS before I start messing with firmwares and doing big resets --- yes, I know the recordings should be fine, but just in case...

The 1TB drive has been getting noisier the past few months - although nothing on the diag says anything's wrong, perhaps that's looming.

Are you running the fan package? You should.
I am, and I've set suspend at 60 and off at 70.
The fan kicks in at 50 as it should, just not sure why it doesn't stay below 50 for very long - my 1TB box rarely gets near 50.
May have to break her seals and open her up... 😁

I've set suspend at 60 and off at 70.
I have no idea what that means. What you should have is one setting in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for fan package is a single setting (adjusted by slider) which sets the minimum fan speed. Set that to 40% (or whatever speed you find necessary so that the temperature displayed in WebIF >> System Monitoring (requires sysmon) is stable and reasonable (mine says 44degC).

The fan package forces the fan to run all the time at the preset speed, with the Humax control taking over if the normal temperature triggers are exceeded.

See here for info about fan testing: Commissioning, Disassembling, and Repairing an HDR-FOX (click).

OK, so the OP needs to set his thresholds lower, or use fan instead. A low percentage setting for fan ensures a continuous airflow without exceeding the noise level of the HDD.

Yes, was referring to the tempmon package.
I have the fan now set constantly to keep it cool. I'll do a gunk check when I next can.

Thanks for all the input - all taken on board and I'm sure it'll be fine.

My only wish now is getting it to see a network drive - I presume it can't see SMBv3 (and 2 and below are now disabled quite rightly in Win10 for security reasons) and my attempts to connect it to a NFS share on a Linux VM failed too... Is there a guide on manually configuring a network share? This automatic folder generating thing just never seems to work for me, and the instructions in the wiki are a little on the thin side..

I've just got some older contents on my NAS which I'd like it to be able to access. I can give it NFS access via a Linux VM (though I've not really use NFS before) or SMB directly in Windows, or even again via Linux if need be... Perhaps that might still be SMBv2 so compatible... might try that..

Edit: Ah crap, turns out my dying one hasn't been auto-decrypting half my content anyway, so the network backup is no use. Right, time to rig it up in the loft on the network and setup foxlink ...

Last edited:
Best to consult about specific problems in relevant threads.

Windows can be persuaded to "see" SMB2, but the Humax can't be made to "see" SMB3.

Back