Broadlink RM pro 2 remote control

surefire

Chaps, thinking of purchasing one of these devices to control my Humax HDR Fox t2 using Alexa. Has anyone had any success with this?

Thanks

Last edited:
You probably don't need one for the Humax.
You can use the customised firmware ir package to send remote control sequence directly to the HDR Fox but as discussed in other threads it is impossible to do more than basic commands, you cant say 'Play Coronation Street'
Recent developments may, eventually, change that but are not far advanced

Presumably this is to avoid blowing people up by pressing the wrong button for the TV.

For some reason, barking instructions at a device has never appealed to me.

Last edited:
Presumably this is to avoid blowing people up by pressing the wrong button for the TV....
For some reason, barking instructions at a device has never appealed to me.
If we ever get to the Star Trek (later than the original) version of talking to the computer, you'll be able to "bark" a self destruct instruction.
You may not be able to blow people up by pressing the wrong button [on the remote control], but I have a device that stops working properly if you press the wrong button on the remote. The remote is designed so well :rolleyes: that pressing that button is very easy. The only solution then is a reboot. A candidate for a replacement remote control.

Was just thinking of using the Broadlink to turn on the Humax in response to a command issued to an Alexa device, and at the same time turn on the TV and maybe the room lamp using a routine. I never thought of using it for more than basic command like change channel, off/on etc. I guess it would be very difficult to get Alexa to play a certain recording from a list for example.

Just as a follow up, I received the Broadlink RM pro and have successfully set it up to turn on and off the HDR fox T2. I also set up a routine so that Alexa will turn on the Hummy, TV and room light when I issue the appropriate voice command. Just for good measure I also have the Broadlink controlling my hifi through Alexa also 😊

Well I'm fairly sure that if anyone wants to listen to the conversations that the wife and I have then good luck to 'em. Not the most informative or riveting chats I'm afraid.

Gone are the days when every spy movie featured a break in to plant bugging devices - you just need to hack the software these days

Somebody convince me that Google doesn't use what it hears, regardless of how inane, to profile you and target more marketing!

Slightly off-topic, but if you have a browser that tells you in a status line which sites are being requested - you'll find google seems to be called by every flippin' page on t'net. So if they are profiling you there, I'm damned sure they'd be listening to your voice control device. If they arn't, some other bgr will be.

you'll find google seems to be called by every flippin' page on t'net.
That might be because Google provide free visitor tracking tools for website developers. If you run a website and want to understand who your audience are and how they interact with your website, Google Analytics is the easy way to do that. Employing GA for that purpose means registering your website with them and putting a Javascript call to GA in the header of every page. GA then tracks the user by deploying cookies.

If you, as a user, want to remain under the radar, there is generally a "Google Analytics Defeat" extension available for your browser (or use a browser which has one). However, this kind of thing is what keeps the World Wide Web free to use.

Also, you may have Safe Browsing (or something similar) enabled with the browser using the Lookup API, where each URL to be opened is sent to G, and no doubt resulting data is used. If the browser uses the Update API (Mozilla eg), it downloads the Safe Browsing list as hashes of the bad URLs and checks the hash of each canonicalised URL before it's opened.

Back